Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.73 10bolt gears for sale

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by 01maroonz71, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

these came out of my 01 z71 8.5in 10bolt axle....the ring and pinioin only have about 50k miles on them and are in great shape. 65 shipped for anybody who needs to get up to 3.73 from 3.08 or something.

2. 01maroonz71

50 shipped??? somebody take the damn things!!!!

3. 01maroonz71

BTT 45shipped..... nobody wants 10bolt 3.73's????? with low miles????

4. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I wish you were selling those back when I put 3.73s in my K5. Here's a bump for ya.

-Wes

5. THISISWEIRD

THISISWEIRD 1/2 ton status

I've got 3.08 and I'm worried they are going to ****. Is the 3.73 really that much of an improvement? I'll never really crawl or get in the mud like most here, so....

How hard would it be for a noob to put these in? Fit a 91' Blazer?

6. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

What size tires do you have? I've got 33's and I'm actually pretty happy with my 3.73s (coming from 2.73s it was like night and day). Alot of guys on here will say not to get anything less than 4.10s but that all depends on what you are going to do. If you're going to do mostly road driving with the occasional jaunt off road then I'd say 3.73s would be just fine. If you're going to use it alot offroad and some on road then I would say to definitely go with 4.10s or 4.56s (assuming you're not running huge tires). At 70 on the highway I run about 2150 rpms but it would be pretty much perfect if my engine had a tad more power. Also, I'm thinking about switching to an SM465 which I would not really want with 4.10s or 4.56s since I don't plan on going with larger tires. As far as putting in gears, unless you've got the patience, tools, and time, you would be better off having a shop do it but if you're mechanically inclined and it's something you may want to try then, by all means, try to do it. Hope this helps.

-Wes

7. THISISWEIRD

THISISWEIRD 1/2 ton status

KPteaxan...now you are speaking my language.

I've got a 91' blazer with a 350 and a 700r4 (called a 4le60 or something in 91) with 33 x12.5. Very similar to your truck. It's a good truck that's clean on the inside. I want it to be a dependable daily driver, but also stout so I don't worry when I go hunting in BFE. I'm not crawling or muddin'.

I plan on fixing the sagging springs with a new 4" Tuff Country Kit and doing what I can to make it a better, stronger truck. But I don't have the resources (time and money) to do what most of these guys do. I can't imagine spending the money on Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rears and all the necessary changes.

So are the 3.73 what I need to get or should I go up to 4.10's?

8. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Honestly, as my Blazer sits now and if money were no object, I would have 4.10s in it right now. But, if I had a bit more power (which I will soon be doing with new intake, heads, cam, chip), the 3.73s would be perfect. Also, if I were going to change transmissions to the SM465 (which I have planned for later), the 3.73s will be perfect. The SM465 has a 1:1 4th gear ratio and the 700R4 has a 1:1 3rd gear ratio so if I were to run my 700R4 in D rather than OD it would run at the same engine speed as an SM465 in 4th so I could always just do that.

I know that what I said is kind of confusing but the bottom line is that it boils down to money. Is the cost difference of changing from 3.73s to 4.10s worth it to me at this point? No, it's not. The 3.73s run just fine on the highway and I make sure to run the transmission in lockup as much as I can when its in OD. Also, 3.73s are what I want once I get my future upgrades done and it will be perfect. What you need to look at is how much money you have to spend and what you have planned for the future of your K5. Gearing is a tough decision and it's one you'll ultimately have to make for yourself. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, this is a helpful link if you want to compare gears: http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm . Just realize that your 33" tires aren't exactly 33" tall but it's still good for comparision purposes between gears. I also realize that this is a for sale thread and these aren't my gears for sale so I apologize for kind of hijacking it.

-Wes

9. 01maroonz71

DAMN terrorists, hijacking my thread!!! haha, it's all good man.

if anybody wants these, let me know...thanks for the free bumps guys!!!

10. 01maroonz71

these are sold!

11. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Damn, I wish I would have saw this sooooner!!!