Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.73 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have both a D44 and a 14FF that have 3.73 in them. i knowthat the carrier break for the D44 is 3.73 and for the 14FF is 4.11. if i get new carriers on the higher side i can put 5.13's in right?
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

In a word... Yes.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Seventy4Blazer

i got me wiggn out on the in a word part....
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

4. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

My mamma told me there's no such thing as a stupid question...so here goes....

Is it also the case that if you have a factory 3.73 D44, 4.56 will work with the same carrier?

Im confused by SeventyFour's "...get new carriers on the higher side" and the cryptic "In a word...."???

Can someone explain the "carrier break" concept a bit more?

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

in general you will need carriers for both axles to run the 5.13's
    I think there is a "thick" gear set availible to run the lower gears in the higher case.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The carrier break for D44 is 2.72 to 3.73 and 3.92 to 5.89
    The carrier break for 14BFF is 3.42 to 4.10 and 4.56 to 5.13

7. Seventy4Blazer

yes, they make thick gears for the 14 bolt. i think they make them for the 44 too, but i am buying a detroit for thr front anyway so i might as well get the carrier i need and spend less on the gears.
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

As I understand it...

As the gears get lower (or numerically higher), the pinion gets progressively smaller. At a point, based more on ring gear size associated with the pinion size (that is why it is different for axles with different ring gears), the carrier itself is recommended to be changed. The ring gear mounts to the carrier and the carrier bolts into the diff housing. The different carrier positions the ring gear more appropriately for the smaller pinion. This keeps from a significant shifting of the carrier which may not even be possible. "Thick" gears can also be used. These gears have a thicker ring gear. the thicker ring gear counters the modified carrier position. I do not believe there are any downsides to using thicker gear sets. The only upside is that it keeps you from having to change the carrier.

Hope this helps clear up the carrier break. If I have missed something or am not correct on something, someone please correct me. I will never know if I am wrong unless someone points it out to me.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!