Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.75" offset 16.5's

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by SubYuman, Oct 15, 2001.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

3.75\" offset 16.5\'s

I cannot seem to find a wheel in 16.5 that has a small enough offset for SubYuman II's suspension. All I find are 4.75 wheels. Is there a spacer strong enough to use on my front end?
    Also, I have asked this before, but it bears repeating. My tie rod ends are at a tight angle, they leak grease everytime I fill them. Can I flip them over to a top loaded position without having steering trouble? I've seen this done on Toyota to clear wheels and unbind the steering on lifted straight axles.... anyone?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by SubYuman on 10/15/01 09:36 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 3.75\" offset 16.5\'s

I don't think you can use a 1" spacer or "adapter", most manufacturers go to a 1.5" so that there is room to bury the original lugs. But that sounds like it will work for you.
    Not knowing what you're doing with the suspension, it's hard to say anything about the tie-rod placement, but there are ways of retapering the hole, or you could drill it out and use a heim joint. Heims are often useful when clearance is a problem.

Why not go to a 15 or 16" wheel? i know there are tire availablility issues with 16"'s, but the common 15" 8 hole wheel is 3 or 3.5" backspace.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Re: 3.75

With a 37" tires at $200 a set, in decent condition I might add ... I know, I checked them out in Spring Valley, the 16.5 wheel is sort of a "must do". ALso, the recapped M/T's are $150 each, and even at $600, I am getting a pretty good tire, considering people with $50k Hummers are trusting them to a rebuilt tire (the recaps are the #1 replacement for Hummers according to the dealer I spoke with) and getting 50k+ miles out of them.
    How strong are the spacers? I will be trusting my family's lives to this Sub, and my own.....
    ALso, does anyone have an opinion of M/T Classic II's?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I like the M/T Classic II's a lot. That is what I would put on my Jimmy if it were a onroad truck, but I am going to go with the black rockcrawlers. I don't trust aluminum for hard offroading. JMO. Plus the black rims will match the black stripe in my factory two tone paint job.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I ran a set of spacers on my 6 lug front for a while with no problems. They are a maintenance point, which is a pain because you have to remove the tire to check them, but that's the way it goes. it's not catastrophic if they loosen up and you're paying attention at all. If it wobbles around, you know what to check!
    Loctite is your friend.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Check out this post. I asked about them a while back too. There is some info and a couple pics of them on a Blazer:

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=159509&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=159509&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1</a>