Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/8 impact gun, anbody use one?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by rdn2blazer, Jun 7, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I am thinking about buying this snap on gun. I use my butterfly impact quite often but I think I would like a 3/8 impact gun type better. my butterfly impact is worn out, plus I like the ergonomics of a impact type gun. your thoughts.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Got the specs on it.

I had some wheels changed on my trailer and the shop that did the exchange used on of those guns. I almost asked why even bother taking the lug nuts off with a 3/8" drive thinking it couldn't do it. But it broke the nuts loose with no effort at all.

Ingersoll Rand makes some very nice equipment too. I have been eyeing this bad boy. 280 ft. lbs of torque amazes me for a 3/8" drive.:yikes: Oh, and it only weighs 2.4 lbs...

[​IMG]

3. rdn2blazer

SPECS ON THE SNAP ON GUN:

Description:
    Provides 300 ft. lbs. of unmatched torque
    Continuous oil bath lubrication ensures longer tool life by reducing premature component wear
    Convenient one-handed push button forward/reverse valve.
    Cushion grip handle absorbs vibration
    Industry leading 2 year warranty
    Made In USA

Features:
    POWER
    • 300 ft lbs of torque; 1400 blows per minute
    • Eight vane motor delivers maximum torque and speed
    RELIABLE
    • One-piece magnesium housing assures precision alignment of components yielding longer tool life
    • Continuous oil bath lubrication reduces wear and maintenance
    • Twin hammer mechanism delivers hard hitting blows with fewer moving parts for longer tool life
    LIGHTWEIGHT
    • Weighs only 2.88 lbs. Only impact available with one-piece magnesium housing
    COMFORT
    • Comfort cushion trigger
    • Ribbed textured handle
    • Balanced design distributes weight evenly to reduce fatigue and increase control
    • Designed for minimal vibration to reduce fatigue
    CONVENIENCE
    • Anvil stops with release of the trigger to prevent throwing nuts or sockets
    • One-hand reverse lever operation
    • Variable speed trigger
    • Built-in 3-position air regulator

[​IMG][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Specifications[/FONT][​IMG]Stock #MG31 NameImpact Wrench, Super Duty, Magnesium Housing, Standard Anvil, 3/8" drivePrice** $314.95 BrandSnap-on Square Drive, inches3/8Recommended Air Pressure, psig (kPa)90 (620)Air Consumption, free speed, cfm (scfm) [l/min]4.3 (31) [122]Air Consumption, working, cfm (scfm) [l/min]4.3 (31) [122]Free Speed, Forward, rpm9,200Free Speed, Reverse, rpm9,500Sound Level, free speed, dBa95Sound Level, working, dBa106Blows per Minute1,400Torque Range, ft. lb. (N•m)50-300 (68-407)Air Inlet Thread Size1/4"-18 NPTMaximum Torque, ft. lb. (N•m)250 (339) forward, 300 (407) reverseRecommended Hose Size, inches (mm)3/8 (10)Overall Length, inches (mm)7.20 (183)Height, inches (mm)6.17 (157)Width, inches (mm)2.18 (554)Weight, lbs. (kg)2.88 (1.3)Vinyl BootMG31BOOT (optional)

4. wicked87_k5

wicked87_k5 1/2 ton status

i have the gun DPI is showing. i love it, it's a snotty lil focker. i have it in 1/2 and 3/8 drive. i got rid of my snap on guns after i tried my buddys IR. they are lightweight, and very powerful, and well worth the cash. wich is about $270.00
    2115TI- 3/8
    2135TI -1/2

5. rdn2blazer

ingersol gun specs:

ModelWeight lb.Air Inlet NPTF in. Av. Air Consumption l/minSound dBA (Pressure/Power) Performance Rating Length mmMin. Hose Size mmWeight kg@ Load l/min@ load cfmLength in.Av. Air Consumption cfmMin. Hose Size in.Free Speed rpmAnvil SizeMaximum Torque NmMaximum Torque ft.-lb.2115Ti2.41/411495/108Titanium Duty 142.2101.08482175.643/815,0003/8380280

it messed up when I submitted it, I copied it from ingersol site. 280 max torque it says.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

There is a company on EBAY selling the ti for $199.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Any idea who is making the Snap-On gun?

8. rdn2blazer

no I dont. it has a 2yr warenty also. 199 on the Ti ingersol is a pretty good deal.

9. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

One of they guys at my shop has the Snap On one. It kicks butt for power, but you have to turn it all the way up and then it's louder than heck. It sounds like it's going to take off. I would go with the IR. I recently bought the 2135QTi 1/2 and it's freakn awsome. Real quite but almost too quite. I would think the 3/8 version would be nice.

10. rdn2blazer

I have the 1/2 in ingersol gun non Ti model and Im very happy with it. just trying to use my available 267 credit I have on the snap on truck. I think my guy sells ingersol off the truck too, but it probably aint the cheapest price in town.

11. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

Buy the Snapon! Trust me, in the long run you'll be glad you did.:bow:

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I love mine... its a husky.. but any good brand is a nice addition to the tool box... about 75 ft pounds of torque... nice for everything up to 9/16... small good for tight spaces.. controllable... you wont be breaking bolts off if you get sloppy... and I can use thinwall sockets/extension bars/u joints for tight access without eating them up

I gove it two thumbs up for your war chest

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't waste the cash on the snap-on one. Several guys at my shop had them, but they returned them for regular IR 3/8 impacts. They're overkill for the work needed...and the 3/8" Titanium will already take lugs of cars as it is.

My IR was $175 with 260 ft.lbs. Is an extra 40 or so (if your compressor can push the air needed) really worth the extra $135?

PS - Snap-on makes their own impacts.

14. rdn2blazer

I think Im going with the IR Ti 3/8 gun. thanks for the imput guys.