Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/8" impact, what do you use yours for?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Feb 8, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just as it says, what do you guys use a 3/8" impact for? I've never had any quality air tools so I have a habit of never using them. Takes a long time to do things but I trust my hands and feel better than air tools. But if I am going to the dealership I know I'll need to use them to save time and get the job done. So I am looking at what air tools I will need. Thinking, 1/4" Air Ratchet, 3/8" air ratchet, 1/2" impact, but do I really need a 3/8" impact? Only thing I can think is since the IRs I am looking at are 180 and 280 ft-lbs. I could use them to tighten things and just leave it at that, still like the idea of finishing tightening by hand.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3/8's are nice for tearing motors down and such... most stuff will come undone with their power and its much more wieldy than a 1/2

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I barely use my 3/8" impact, mines pretty weak tho. Usually i use hand tools or my 3/8" air ratchet. I dont even own 1/4" drive air tool and i dont really think it would be that useful. If something thats small it prolly isnt gonna be very tight or long. Im happy with the 3/8" air ratchet and the 1/2" impact.

4. ryoken

for alot of folks i would agree on the 1/4... may be useful for him at the dealer tho with lots of fresh 10mm stuff.. i know for me it was invaluable in the bodyshop doing dashwork and bumpers.. woulda went nuts without it....

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm expecting to the get the bitch work, you know, dash rattles, squeaks, stuff like that. I kind of forsee a few dash related things in the near future. I know a tech I know(owned his own shop) loved having one. For the $50 it costs I'm just gonna get it.

6. ryoken

i would say the 1/4 air ratchet will be much more valuable to ya than a 3/8 impact... i know tons of guys who just run a 1/2.. 3/8's is just another toy... i prolly use mine for about 1/3 of my impact work... i'd say you'd be much better off with an angle die grinder, cutoff wheel or air hammer than the 3/8...

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks thats what I wanted to hear.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

1/4 air ratchets are gold for doing interior work. removing 100 7mm/10mm screws under a dash sucks when you have to do it by hand.

hell i used mine most of the time on engine teardowns too.

3/8 guns are worth it too. great for suspension/brake/underbody work. i had the composite IR, and loved it.

spend the cash on a good 1/2 gun too. i have the ti version, composite body. 1000 ftlbs in reverse. great gun.

dont forget to get some diagnosing stuff, like a test light, multimeter, fuel pressure gauge and a spark tester.

i might get that stuff before i bought a 3/8 gun.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

on the list of what to get.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The air tool that I use the most is probably my 3/8's drive butterfly impact. It's compact, fits into tight spaces, and is FAST. I hardly ever use the 3/8's air ratchet, as it's just too damn slow and noisy. :(

11. ryoken

yeah, i'd definitely look to get a die girinder if i were you.. invaluable with carbide burrs, roloc setups, etc...

did that used box gig come thru you were hinting at?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nothing has as of yet. 2 fall throughs as of right now. Hopefully meet the Mac guy tomorrow and he will have a used box for me. have to call the Snap On guy if not and see what he has used(forget what he said).

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I work on Caterpillar earth moving equipment and I use my Chicago Pneumatic 3/8 impact gun more than 1/2, 3/4, and 1" put together. I have metric and standard wobble sockets and the size of the gun combined with the wobble lets me use it in tight spots. Only problem is the wobble eats up alot of power...sort of like a torque converter. The 3/8 gun is great for bolts holding sheet metal in place, smaller engine parts, and interiors.

14. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I don't ever use my air ratchet because I hate the noise and the hose. The impact is the tool of choice. Speed and power! I mostly use the 1/2 inch because I only use it on the big stuff, 9/16 and up.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

where do you guys get your IR tools? Sears selection is leaving me wanting more. Biggest power they have(in 1/2" drive) is 625. I am looking at the 2131QT. Composite, quiet(82dBA), 4.5 lbs, 600 ft lbs. But I think I may want a little more smoke. Snap On's selection didn't impress me a whole lot. The Ti IR and the Mac NitroCat or whatever were the two of interest to me. But I'd rather get one somewhere besides on Ebay(unless thats really the cheapest place).

16. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i paid $379 for my ti bout one year ago.

thats what matco sells them for new.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wonder if IR doesn't like warrantying them if you buy them on Ebay. $200 on ebay.

18. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

eh...never had a problem with any air tool during the warranty period. most air tools dont have a warranty over a year.

had the old style 1/2 composite body ir at old job, 6 years, oiled it ever once in a while, no problems.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

$220 buy it now for the 2135QTi. The same thing you have in the quiet version, music to my ears :) haha.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heavily considering getting a butterfly. Love my uncle's. His is used most often for mounting new tires for the modified. Makes short work of the many many beadlock bolts.