Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 arrested as cross-border tunnel found

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jul 21, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3 arrested as cross-border tunnel found
    Last Updated Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:01:17 EDT

CBC News

Three men from Surrey, B.C., face drug charges after the discovery of a tunnel running from Langley to Washington state that authorities say was built to transport drugs between Canada and the United States. Police say the 1½-metre high, one-metre wide tunnel runs from a metal Quonset hut just north of the border in Langley to an abandoned house in Lynden, Wash. – just 90 metres south of the border.

[​IMG] [font=verdana,arial]DEA photo of the tunnel running from Langley to Washington state.[/font]
    Francis Devandra Raj, 30; Timothy Woo, 34; and Jonathan Valenzuela, 27, face charges in the U.S. of conspiracy to distribute marijuana and conspiracy to import marijuana.

They are accused of smuggling 42 kilograms of marijuana through the 110-metre tunnel across the border and into waiting vans.

Police say it's the first tunnel they've ever found along the Canadian border.

[​IMG] [font=verdana,arial]Quonset hut in Langley, B.C[/font]
    The tunnel runs from a depth of one to three metres and is reinforced with iron bars and 2 x 6 wooden planks.

U.S. government agencies, including the FBI and drug enforcement officials, had been monitoring its construction for eight months, allowing its completion so that authorities could monitor the activities of those constructing it.

Investigators had even placed cameras and microphones inside the tunnel.

[​IMG]
    They moved in and sealed the tunnel on Wednesday, shortly after it opened.

It was constructed using shovels, as well as a winch and carting system to remove the dirt.

Link!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I worked at that greenhouse for a year or so after I graduated high school, this would have been '84 or so...:crazy:

Kinda weird to see it on the news like this.

Rene

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh, wow.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just what did y'all grow in that greenhouse ??? :thinking: :thinking: :whistle:

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Makes you wonder what they used to locate it.

Ground pounders, aerial or satellite. Doesn't sound like they were tipped off.

Hey Rene, now I know why you were welding all those iron bars.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, knowing exactly where that greenhouse is I'm surprised they ever thought they would be undetected. It's about a block and a half from the Canadian border shack...:haha:

FWIW, we used to grow poinsettias, african violets, primulas, cyclomen, kalanchuae, and some other tropical plants. It paid not bad for an entry level job, and my boss was reasonably cool. I used to make weekly trips to Seattle delivering plants to a couple of wholesalers there.

He and his wife divorced and after they left it wasn't long before it fell into dis-use.

Rene

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well hell, that takes all the fun out of it. I guess they thought that'd be a safe place, at the mouth of the Lion's den.