Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3" body lift by Performance Accessories

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHINTON, Sep 22, 2003.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

3\" body lift by Performance Accessories

Figured I would write up a quick review of the install on my 72 GMC Jimmy. I am in the middle of restoring the Jimmy, pictures etc are at

Sam's Webshots

Not really any specific ones of the body lift install but you might see a glimpse or two.

Ok, bought my 3" lift at Summit Racing's website, best prices I could find. I also purchased the Energy Suspension poly body mount kit so I could replace both at the same time. With shipping I want to say about $160ish.

The body lift: They actually send you a somewhat generic kit which kinda sux, and REALLY generic instructions which sux even more. There are 12 body mounts on our Jimmy which includes the 2 under the radiator.

The poly body mount kit, GREAT instructions, fantastic kit. Only downside is the washers they give you fit the stock bolts and the massive grade 5s from the body lift will NOT fit thru them! To fix this, I took a drill bit and a vise and redrilled almost all the washers. (Test fit with a bolt to verify they go thru.) I wouldn't bother to buy new ones, this took like 5-10 minutes to do.

NEXT, I assembled ALL twelve of my body mounts and body lift kits in the correct order. Bolt, washer, 3"puck, washer, poly mount, sleeve, poly mount, washer, nut. (Or something like that) This allowed me to have all the parts together neatly.

There are two REALLY long bolts, they are used just behind the front seats, fyi! There are a couple diff size bolts, the shortest ones are for the next to rear that come in just about the rear leaf springs.

The install...we used PB blaster on the bolts for about a week and a half...BUT..when I started wrenchin on them almost every single bolt sheared...turns out almost every bolt on the ENTIRE jimmy was about 1/2 rusted thru!!! (WARNING, they looked fine, I didnt know they were about rusted thru...if yours are stock, chances are they are SHOT!)

We ended up using the cutting torch to get some of the bolts out since a prev owner had welded them in during previous restoration. Made a real mess, on the passenger side we used a grinder and hammer and got em all out with less mess.

We used a body jack my dad had, which is basically a long version of a bottle jack. We found that it was a real pain with only 1 side lifted, getting the bolts to line up and drop thru. With both sides lifted they lined up MUCH better. (Dont pull ALL the bolts and just lift, be very careful during the lifting of the body.)

ONE tip, our life was MUCH easier by the fact that we had previously removed the front fenderwells, front fenders and hood! This meant we just left the radiator till later and lifted/redid the 10 body mounts on the tub/bed...if you can..this will make your life MUCH easier.

Binding...we had a speedometer cable get very tight, but we loosened the bracket and it was fine. The shifting linkage (auto tranny with column shifter) did POP/pull itself into 1st gear from Park!!!! Make sure to have the wheels chocked and maybe even disconnect it. I had no other issues and rebent the shifting linkage to realign my gears to the indicator on the steering column afterwards. (I think dad welded in a new piece which was TOO long and then rebent to get it back lined up. Bent by applying heat until cherry red and bending.)

If you are going to do this I would do your best to have access to a good set of acetylene tanks, (gas welding) which gives you a cutting torch and welder. It proved invaluable. I also used a drill bit large enough to fit the bolts to redrill the washers, and having 2 or 3 bottle jacks/and floor jacks made the job easier to. (Lifting from 2-3 diff points)

You will see in my pictures that we filled the rear gap between bumper and body with a custom cut piece of steel and riveted it in. It could easily be removed and we just used a metal cutting tool to make the filler.

I cannot think of anything else, feel free to zap messages and I will try to answer as I can. We just did this about 2 weeks ago!

Sam Hinton

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Re: 3\" body lift by Performance Accessories

been there...done that... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    remember....BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!!

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

TonyP,
    Do tou have a body lift on your truck? How did you get the front bumper up ware it is supose to be did you make your own lift brackets for the bummper.
    Earl

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Earl, no body lift just replaced the old stock body mounts with new poly ones...

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx for the insight as im about to order the same kit for my 86 pickup. probobly going to do the poly mounts at the same time as well..since i just busted both of my front radiator core support mounts..i could just go buy the damn washer and lower rubber cushion from the dealer but i might as well do it all while i have the chance.

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Ive been thinking abought doing away with my body lift. I dont like the way it looks wiith the stock bumpers. Or I have to make a custom bumpers for it. So if any one comes up with a bummper relocating Braket I would liek to know how you did it.
    Earl
    Earl

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

For what it is worth the bolt heads come welded to the floor of the truck from the factory. I had a hell of a time removing mine. If anyone is wondering there is a list of the bolt sizes posted a long time back by Steve Chin that I (and others) have reposted.

8. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

For the bolts welded to the floorboards, I had a pretty easy time getting them off by using a dremel tool with a small cutting disc. Just sliced the weld on the side of the bolt and they came right out.

9. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Ok, we thought that might have been a PO thing, but it sounds factory. ON the passenger side we just ground down the weld, then hammered on the bolt from the bottom and out she popped!

My front bumper is not original (winch bumper) but my rear looked odd so we put in the body gap filler. I think you can buy them online too.

Sam

10. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Good write-up. I know that once you've finished a project like this, you may not want to rehash it, but it really helps the rest of us.

Thanks for your effort.

11. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I dont want to sound dumb but I would like to put on new body mounts and the i inch body lift from ord. But I dont know the best way to lift the body of my 71 off the frame. I would like to coat my frame with por 15 when I have the body off. Do I have to do this seperate. The front then the back. Or can I lift it all at once? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Get some 4x4s alot of concrete blocks and a hydrolic jack lift the body slowly make sure everythingis unhooked from the body and lift it up until the 4x4 are under the body then roll the chasis off from under it. Its a lot of work you need to take the hood and fenders off un hook the wiring to the engine , unhook the steering breaks and shift linkage , Im sure Im forgetting a few things but after that you will be able to rill the chassis from under the body.
    Earl