Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3" body lift installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Luehrs1, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Luehrs1

Luehrs1 Registered Member

Ok, quick question I'm about to install a 3" body lift on my '89 Blazer. I'm tryin to figure out if i have to modify my trans cooler lines. The body lift says that the radiator moves up with the body and the trans cooler lines run underneath a brace on the frame I think. Ill take a pic and put it up so anybody with any info can understand a little better. Also is it necessary to drop the gas tank to do this? Any help is appreciated.

Patrick

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You can "fudge" a lot of that stuff by just unbolting the last couple clamps that secure hardlines to the frame.....you may need to do that same thing for the lines coming off the master cylinder too.

The main thing is to just look really carefully for anything that connects between the body and frame (hint: if you have an automatic, the gear selector will probably need to be lengthened) The bumpers may need to be removed to get the body lifted (I'm not sure how much they overhang the body on an '89 if at all)

Mainly, the trick is to just lift slowly and have someone watching for anything you forgot to loosen or remove. Don't FORCE it if you feel resistance....look for the source of the problem before you damage something and make the project a lot longer..... :crazy:

3. Luehrs1

Pics

Ok i took a couple pics of what i hope will be my only problem. I think that when the lift goes on i will be able to re-route these over the top of the bar. What do you guys think?

Trans cooler lines side view 1.JPG

Side view close up 1.JPG

Trans cooler lines bottom view 1.JPG

4. offroadnut

offroadnut 1/2 ton status

also don't forget the fan housing... it is mounted to the radiator and the fan stays with the motor. when you lift the body the fans will be pressed against the fan housing at the bottom.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

any thing body related is going up 3" nothing from the frame if moving. so all motor stuff is staying and the fan shroud will need some mods. and the shifter or shifters and gas filler wires and possible steering . also body lifts put more stress on the rag joing to keep a good eye on that.

6. Luehrs1

But the directions said that the radiator will move up 3" with the body?

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What he's getting at is that the radiator (and fan shroud) WILL move upwards, but the fan (since it's bolted to the engine) will NOT...... Basically the fan will no longer be "centered" in the shroud, so you will need to clearance the shroud so that the fan won't hit it.

8. Luehrs1

I get that, but what im tryin to figure out is these cooling lines go into my radiator, and by moving it up 3" these lines are not going to be able to because of that cross member, so whats the best way to get around that?

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Or............. you could just do what I did and not raise the core supprt. I have a 3" body lift on my cab, but I left out the front core suuport. I wanted a sloping hood for visibility in the rocks. I didn't have to worry about tranny lines, fan shrouds, or nothin'. I spent about an hour massaging the fenders & hood to eliminate any gaps. Notice how the grill & front bumper have not raised, but the cab has 3" pucks under it :grin:

BodyLift.jpg

Side.jpg

10. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

If they dont fit, cut them. Reconnect with rubber tubing and hose clamps.