Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3" Body LIft Steering Shaft Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Sep 3, 2001.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

3\" Body LIft Steering Shaft Question

Guys, I finished my 3"body lift and I really didn't have to do anything to my steering shaft. It seems to be turning okay and I just loosened the 2 bolts on the firewall (just a little) when I lifted it, but that was all. I thought the steering shaft would require a lot more adjustment. It seems like I really didn't do anything to it. My steering gear is leaking more now and I can move the shaft around with my hand. Is this normal? I mean, I just don't want my friggin' steering wheel to come off while I'm driving down the road. Anyone out there have any ideas?

"Constipated people don't give a crap!"

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Re: 3

You dident loosen the sliding mechanism under your steeringwheel behind the litle accespanel in the dash? the coulumn should have a steeper angle downwards and have been pulled away from where your sitting. If not you may have stretched something out of the steering box?

I can take pictures and e-mail you of how mine looks if you want to compare.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i had the same type of problem w/ mine. you MUST be sure the steering shaft seperated, and not the little joint that is at the firewall. the little joint will slide out and because its tapered will cause a ton of play. i removed the steering shaft and beat it apart with a big screw driver stuck in one end. when i put my body lift on, i drilled out the nylon pins, but it still didnt seperate, and i didnt notice that the joint made up for the extra length. drove for 3 years with all that slop!! its also good to remove the shaft and repack that joint with some grease. if this isnt making sense, just pop the hood and you will see what im talking about. as far as the leak goes, cant help you there. mine leaks too, but its the line.

later rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Re: 3\" Body LIft Steering Shaft Question

I took off the steering shaft when I did my second body lift after my gearbox leaking bad after the first one I put in. Loosen the bolts inside and outside, take the shaft apart/loose and then get inside and shake the hell out of the steering wheel and it will slide down and out just enough to keep it from straining anything after the body lift. Just my $.02 after installing 5 or 6 bodylifts.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your input, guys. I was afraid no one would know what I was talking about. Espen, I would really, really appreciate some pics. I sent you a PM. Thanks again guys!

"Constipated people don't give a crap!"