Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 core? 4 Core? Radiator.com

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woody9, Jul 4, 2001.

1. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Have a 91 350 auto/air supposedly with HD cooling, and today found radiator to be the 3 core style (19x28 1/4)..
    Radiator.com has a replacement for $149 (cheap enough I guess), but i'm wondering what it takes to go to a 4 core? (both installation & price) LMC catalog lists a 4 core, but.. doesnt' have different support brackets for different 'row counts'.
    ANyone been down this path latley? Advise?
    I'm going to be towing with this more frequently (now the the 4:10s are in it!), so the 4 row is definately preferred!
    THinking of an elec fan as well (heck, there's room inside the shroud!)
    Thanks!

2. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

call around and get prices on a 4 core. Radiator.com has 4 core also. They will beat anyone's price you can call their 800 number or send them an email. I'm getting my radiator through them for 89.00 :-)

Sara

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

GET A MODINE 4 ROW!!!!!! i run one and they are awsome!
    plus they have a lifetime warr.

"The more Beer , The Harder the Trail!"

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I installed a Modine 4-core and it works great. Also had to change the upper panel (bracket) #14018600, rubber pads #6264100 and shroud #14021289. (all part numbers are GM). Everything bolts right up.

Smitty

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Just called 'em. Didn't figure they'd be in today. New 4-row, delivered FRIDAY, no exchange.... $133.00 complete! That doesn't sound too bad at all! LMC was $245 for one.

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Who did you get it through?
    Maybe I'm lost, but why do you guys like the Modine radiator so much? I've never heard of them. Where do you get them and prices? I'd like to get a 4 core instead of my 3.

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

radiator.com. That's who i got thru to. Modine (while a great radiator I'm sure) i'd expect to be a bit more pricy than $133.00, delivered in 2 days, with a 4 core!
    I didn't expect them to have the phones manned today.Once i mentioned checking the internet price (dropped in my mind from $167 to $149 per their applicaton applet...).. and she'd said $240 or $260.... it zipped down to the $133.00
    Said they'd match anything price wise! and lifetime warr as well!
    Heck, where i'm at, and that kind of delivery, it's worth it!
    Said if ANYONE else worked on it, warr is void.. so that sounded weird.... but we'll see on Friday!

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Just courous did you get it ? In two days?
    TIA

9. I used a new 4 core from AutoZone(PN# 433730) and the same GM parts minus the shroud. I think it was right at $200 for everything.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

BigBurb,

They're the same numbers you gave me a while back and it all worked out great! I'm fixing the A/C now--the condensor is costing the same as the radiator! I should have it all back together tomorrow if everything goes right.

Smitty

11. I was going to do a write-up on the swap, but my old radiator was of unknown origin. I think someone had thrown it in from an S-10 or something small like that. The swap took a little research at the GM dealer to find the right parts, but went well. None of the parts were returnable so I had to be right the first time and the parts guys was an idiot. He was a patient idiot and let me look at all of the pictures and I made the final decisions. My reccommendation to anyone else doing the swap would be to look at the same year of vehicle (truck or Burb 3/4or 1 ton) and with the 7.4L 454 and auto or stick tranny to ensure it is the correct application for the year of your vehicle. One of the best mods I have made on the Burb.

12. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I got my 4 core from radiator.com. The guys there are BOWTIE fans so it was fun. Its a GDI unit. I talked to a sales rep. from GDI and he said that all I need is my proof of purchase and thats the lifetime warranty. When I switched over to my new one I needed a wider lower radiator support. And I am not using the stock fan anymore. Although I still have the provision for it and have it on hand JIC.

13. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I tryed to put a 4 row in my 19991 k5 but i could not get it to fit. before strating check the loaction if the fill hole. THe one that the place that went to tryed to sell me was in the wrong spot, so i could not get the top brackets to go on. Good luck, and tell me if you get it in

14. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I got a 4 core GoDan from discountradiators.com for $169. Outfit in NY. Shipped it in 2 days and has a lifetime warranty. I just used the factory busings and shroud. It doesn't fit like it would if I had the right busings and shroud but I haven't had a problem with it for over a year.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

15. what does your top mount or mounts look like?

16. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Nope!
    Not here. and they don't man the phones on sunday! Amazing! they did the 4th.. but not today? (unless it was delivered and walked away!)

17. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

It arrived late this afternoon. Looks great! Has all the fittings in the right spot, and look to be the right size.
    Wish I woulda picked up some more A/F and ATF when I was in the big city today!
    Need to check that $89 price they gave Sara below too!
    $133 ain't bad, but &lt; 90 is better!

18. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Hum, 4th to the 9 th, not too bad, but not as promised.
    As always buyer be ware.
    P.s. get a signed contract if you really need it overnight.