Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 differentials . . . dana44 front, and two 3/4s out of 86 . . . ratios???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ratchetmaster, Apr 17, 2003.

1. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

I found a guy with a dana 44. it has a tag on it that says . . . 45-11. and 4 09.
    Does the 45-11 indicate the ratio?? 45 divided by 11 equals 4.9 is this a 4.10 ratio??
    He wants 60 bucks for it . . . should I buy it if for nothing else to resell it??

He also has an 86 3/4 ton with 4.10 gear ratios. I don't want to change mine, but he needs to move then this weekend . . . and wants $150 for the set.
    Would I be able to buy them and sell them for a profit easily???

I am new to truck stuff and I was just looking for a trans for my truck that went out 3 weeks after buying it . . . and I ran across this stuff.

What do you all think???
    Thanks for all input. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I found a guy with a dana 44. it has a tag on it that says . . . 45-11. and 4 09.
    Does the 45-11 indicate the ratio?? 45 divided by 11 equals 4.9 is this a 4.10 ratio??
    He wants 60 bucks for it . . . should I buy it if for nothing else to resell it??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, 45 is the number of teeth on the ring gear and 11 is the teeth on the pinion. 45/11 gives you the ratio of 4.09 (4.10's).
    If I were you, I'd buy it from him for 60 bucks. If you don't use it, you could resell it for close to $200 (if it's complete and in good, swappable condition).

[ QUOTE ]
    He also has an 86 3/4 ton with 4.10 gear ratios. I don't want to change mine, but he needs to move then this weekend . . . and wants $150 for the set.
    Would I be able to buy them and sell them for a profit easily???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are these just the ring and pinion gear sets or the whole front and rear axle assembly? If it's the whole assembly, that's a steal (I'll buy them from him if they're the whole assemblies /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). But, if it's just the ring and pinion sets...yeah, that's a good deal for two (front and rear) sets...but used gears don't have much resale value.

3. ratchetmaster

Heavy4x4
    Thanks for the reply.
    I guess I'll pick up the 44 on your advice and try to sell it locally here as I am sure it would be difficult to sell with shipping involved.

The 86 diffs are complete and still in the truck. The glove box gave away the 410 ratios in them. Are these what people refer to as full floaters?? What does that mean??

what would they be worth as a min price as I wouldn't want to hold on to them for long . . . take up too much space and I would want them to move quickly.
    Thanks again for the help.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are these what people refer to as full floaters?? What does that mean??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, maybe. There's a half-and-half chance the rearend is the 14 bolt Semi-floater or Full-floater. To tell the difference; the diff cover on the SF is more round than the "diamond" FF - also look at the rims, if there's a large hub coming out of the center (sticking out several inches) then it's the full floater. What makes them different: all front axles are FF. What this means is that the weight of the vehicle is supported by the axle housing itself. The wheel runs on a hub assembly with bearings. The axleshafts just simply support the driving force. Now, the same thing can be said about rear end FF. These too have hub assemblies that the wheel rides on. In the semi-floaters, the axleshafts themselves support the weight of the vehicle (they are on bearings) and also supply the driving force. The way the axle shafts in the semi-floater attach to the carrier if via a c-clip design. This makes them inherently weaker than the FF (those axleshafts are held into the carrier by simply bolting the axleshaft to the end of the hub by the wheel).
    Hope all that made sense and didn't confuse you too much.
    [ QUOTE ]
    what would they be worth as a min price as I wouldn't want to hold on to them for long

[/ QUOTE ]
    If rear is FF: good condition - $150
    If rear is SF: depending on condition - probably bring near the same amount as the FF
    Front axle: good condition, complete - $200 minimum

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Check out the Axle Identification Guide located in the technical section to help identifying axles.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. ratchetmaster

OK . . .
    I bought the 44 for $50. It is complete with calipers, rotors, etc.
    What should I ask in the local paper?? it has 4.10 gears.

I wasn't able to get the other two from the 86 . . . he wanted me to take the whole truck(it was missing many parts . . . I have the complete engine less carb) and I couldn't deal with that right now . . . so he sold the rest of it with axles to someone else for $125.
    Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. ratchetmaster

I could sure use some more input. . .
    anyone else???

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought the 44 for $50. It is complete with calipers, rotors, etc.
    What should I ask in the local paper?? it has 4.10 gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it have locking hubs? Auto or manual? Big external hub design of the early 44's or the internal hub? Or is it a 44 from the full-time 4x4 trucks?

9. ratchetmaster

Thanks for the reply.

It has manual locking hubs that you turn to lock.
    It is from an auto trans truck. It came out of a 73 chevy truck with a big block in it.

I think it has the big external hubs . . . 8 lugs . . . and the hubs look much bigger than the hubs on my 78 . . . fater or greater diameter.
    I am not real familiar with truck stuff so please forgive my ignorance.
    Looking forward to your response.
    Thanks

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I would personally list it in the paper for $225-250, but settle for $200 if offered it. That'll give you a net gain of $150 - not too shabby. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That '73 probably didn't have a bbc from the factory if it came with a D44.

Those, "bigger" external hubs actually aren't as strong as the newer ones, but you probably won't have any problem with them.