Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 foot fireballs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

So I went to fire up my 81 with the 500 in it and after cranking it over a couple times (Its been cold up here and I haven't started it in about a month) it finally sounded like it was going to catch when BOOOM! a huge fireball blows out of the top of the carb. Then the carb was on fire. (no aircleaner) So I managed to put out the fire without having to use an extinguisher and make a mess of everything.

I figure ok maybe I just used way too much gas (I was pumping the crap out of it to get it to start) and it will start with less now that its close to turning over. Nope, another big fireball with a flaming carb served up on the side.

So now I'm afraid to try and start my truck for obvious reasons. I was thinking it might have something to do with the cold (possibly not atomizing the fuel properly?) and I've heard people refer to air cleaners as flame arrestors before but something is telling me that this is still abnormal.

Anyone offer any help on this?

Thnx
    ~Max

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

mine breaths fire too, its just a caddy thing, he's just waking up. other than that i'm no help.

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ha ha I hope thats all it is. It kinda worries me that the carb caught on fire after the fireball though. Maybe I should try a different carb?

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

If it starts on fire again just keep cranking the engine, it'll pull the fire into the cylinders.

5. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Haha. That's funny. I've got a thick Carhartt shirt that looks like swiss cheese because I used it to smother a carb fire. I actually still wear it. ;) I went from the cab, ripped the shirt off and stuffed it over the carb in about 3 seconds flat. Too bad I was at a family get together and everybody 20 feet away watched the whole thing. Damn it, I can't shake this redneck reputation.
    Travis

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

so this is normal? I was under the impression that something was screwed up.

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

did you change anything since it last ran?

8. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

It could be that the float is stuck or somthing is stuck in one of the jets, and it is stuck open so it keeps pouring fuel into the carb. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Its been along time since I have had to work on a carb, so I dont know if anything I said would even help.:D

later
    jmd

9. warreclipsegst

warreclipsegst Registered Member

It could be timing as well. If your timing is off it can cause it to back fire through the carb and yes, if you are pumping gas into it (or even not) it can and will catch on fire..

10. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Maybe a little gremlin came and ground off your exhaust lobes off your cam while it's been sitting......

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Damn those little gremlins!!!