Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 in. body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5mike, Sep 4, 2004.

1. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

I'm going to start on the 3 in body lift first thing in the morning...any tuff spots I should be ready for...not to sure about how to drill the stering shaft...any help would be great....my k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is a 1986 with a 465 tranny.....thanks,
    Mike

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Leave the steering shaft alone.

Be ready to /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif your clutch linkage if it's not hydro.

3. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

it's hydro...thank god......so leave the shaft alone.....good deal....tha was the only problem int he inst. that I was kind of leary about...thanks,
    Mike /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifbody mounts shot anyone know where to get them.....all my local shops are closed/ don't have them...is $100 a good price?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$100 is too much.

I hate to say this, but I can't believe you started a body lift without having new body mounts on hand already.

6. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

they looked to be in good shape before I started.....no cracks dry rot etc..after looking at the ones I got off they are not as bad as I thought...just alot of rust from the old bolts....thanks for your words of encouragement...hahaha /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Getting the 2 last bolts out on each side of the gas tank are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

barrel of monkeys suck

9. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good luck with those,. had someone experienced with the rear to help me and eneded up going to lowes and buying a longer bolt to fix that problem, granted I haven't had nay problem syet /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It took me a few hours to get the back 2 bolts out, I first couldn't even get a socket on them so I dropped the tow hitch and that allowed axcess to the nuts but the carriage bolt stripped the sheetmetal. I wound up pulling up the carpet behind the back seat and ground the heads of the bolts off and they fell right out.

The bolts supplied in the kit worked fine, don't know why you needed different bolts.

11. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

rear bolts came out with no problems...but the bolts in the kit are not long enough......only have one side done for now..........will get back to it in the morning....had to go to a party and drink some beer.......augh poor me right?

12. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

I see what you guys mean about the bolts.....the two closer to the cab were spot welded to the floor...pain in the ass to get out ....no grinder/air./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ......had to go the old hammer and a chisel / hacksaw blade......worked out ok.....now to see if it makes it out of the garage....I'm sure it will....I did check with a tape messure before I started...if it is to close I'll rachet strap the rear to make enough room...or I may /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif