Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 inch body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scottnj, Jan 12, 2004.

1. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me what can be done for the transfer case shifter when I do a three inch body lift? I have already lowered the transfer case mount down 1 inch for the 4 inch suspension lift I did, so really the shifter is going to have a 4 inch difference.
    With the 1 inch different it is not perfect, so I imagine bringing the body up 3 more inches will make the shifter unusable.
    scottnj@cfl.rr.com
    thanks

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You will likely have to enlarge the hole in the floor that the shifter comes up through. Personally I would avaoid a body lift, causes a lot more headaches than anything else.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

his shifter is bolted to the body and has linkage running to the t case

you most likely need to make custom linkage. i dont think you will be able to ajust it that far

4. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Dont they make an adapter or something like that?

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

On my 77 with a NP203, it just made the shifter "shorter" due to the 3" body lift. I didn't have to make the whole any bigger for the shifter. It still shifts into all ranges fine. I don't have the boot on at the moment, but I'm gonna either have to shorten it or make something. Everything still works as advertised though.

Kris

6. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

I also lowered the transfer case the one inch from using those spacers when I did my 4 inch suspension lift.
    Have you done this also? Just wondering if the one inch will make a difference with the 3 inch body lift.
    thanks for the info!!!

Scott

7. playtoy1

playtoy1 Registered Member

not sure what truck you have but i have a 84 with 350/208 combo with a 3 1/2 inch body lift and just adjusted it out it works great if you dont have enough adjustment then use a piece of 3/8 threaded rod formed in to a Z shape useing the factory ends for the adjustments

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What case do you have?

I had to cut my floor to allow the lever to move completely. It still hits the seat, which sucks.

When I ditch both my body lift and my bench seat, both of those problems will be solved. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

My 77K5 also has a 4" Rancho lift on it. I'm not sure if the tcase has been dropped or not though. There is plenty of room to shift though. Push some to shove, you could always use a threaded rod and extend the tcase handle.

Kris

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you are getting into 4wd low loc? On my 77 when I had the 3" body lift it would not [darn] into 4wd low loc. I had to cut the floor. It would shift into 4wd low ok, and I didn't even know it wasn't in the "lock" range until I was flex testing it and the front tires were not spinning.