Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 link and coils

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 55Willy, Aug 19, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

gearing up for a full custom attack on a 85 cherokee( not mine) we're doing a 350 in it while we have it tore apart.
    The guy is also wanting to get this thing as soft as he can for the dunes, like a prerunner set up with 4x4 though. so I was thinking 3 link and coil overs, is there any other option for a soft set up ???? He has about $6,000 to work with and we are doing a cusytom frame on it too( cutting the sub frame open and adding a box tube frame and new crossmembers.

-Jeremy

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Good luck coiling it with frame mods on $6K. Coilovers run about $600 per corner, +/- some. Add heims and tubing for the links, limit straps, bumpstops, etc and you're getting close, especially if you have to charge labor. Oh yeah, driveshafts, with lots of anglarity.
    For fast stuff, coilovers are the way to go but you can get a decent approximation with an external shock and coil. Then you spring the cash for a big King shock and you might as well have set it up as a coilover to start with. But it can work OK with a couple of regular shocks and a separate coil, just can't run as long till it heats up. I worked on a early bronco with wildhorses coils and leaves that we built for running desert races and it worked pretty well for about 15 min. with a pair of ranchos per wheel.
    good luck

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

stephen, can i get some measurements for the frotn setup you got on your rig?
    i am more concerned in looking at the frame mods(shock towers) and the cross over the enginve.
    along with spring rates used and what not.
    thanks,
    grant

4. Stephen

Applying my geometry to your front end wont work too well, I have a high pinion, reasonably high lift, rotated transfer case, etc. I built the front to keep the driveshaft happy, you may not have to.
    Basically:
    build the arms as flat as possible to minimize steer
    mock it up with some cardboard and push pins to check pinion rotation, etc.
    check the driveshaft plunge, you probably don't want more plunge than a standard slip shaft will give
    keep the panhard bar parallel to the draglink and the same length, and check the steer anyway, big castor change throws some of the draglink rules out the window.

I'd talk to the shock manufacturer about the spring rates also, once you have it set up and weighed in. I don't know if you're doing single rates, dual rates, triple rates, ride height, shock length, etc. Many variables on the rate questions.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you bring up some good points. i am thinking about puting a new high pinion D60 on my rig. a brand new unit. (credit cards are great...)
    but i may not. i may buy the doubler on the credit card... he he... i dunno yet. i also will be running the upward rotated case. how much lift did you generate from yours? i thought you were only about 6 or so?
    im not sure just how i am going to lif mine yet. i am thinking of 4 setups. std 6 inch BDS springs, coil over 3 link, 1/4 eliptical, and the final option 52 inch springs.
    i am also talking to my local spring shop. from what i hear they make great springs. all i know is they do all the school busses around here. they wont even quote me untill i can bring my truck to them to look at it or i pay to have them come out and see it. maybe i will pay the 15 bucks. i dunno.

thanks for your time, grant

6. Stephen

My lift is only about 5" but the t-case is turned up more than 3" and I have 8-9" of droop travel, so it's hard on the front driveshaft.
    I didn't gain that much flex over my leaves, but the links do move a lot more smoothly and I have better steering and response in faster stuff. I spent a lot to gain a little is what it comes down to.