Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3-Link Coil Front Suspension....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Stephen at ORD is a bad, bad influence!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

He suggested that since I have an extra bare frame "just sitting there" in my garage, that I should consider ALL options for the suspension before spending any money, or just automatically going to a leafspring suspension.

OK......so I have a lot of respect for Stephen and I like the idea of trying lots of "ideas" out before making a decision, the problem is how to actually START????

I can probably find a picture of a 3-link suspension....and I know a few guys (like Frisbee) have built them from scratch, but I don't know much about it. I'd love to find a 4x4-Specific book about multilink suspensions, but I don't think one exists....

Can anyone give me a "starting point" on this research? A link or two to good pics, or technical info on setting one up?

Did a few searches in the archives, and haven't found what I'm after yet......

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

Thanks......but that thread is like tearing out the first 300 pages of the book I want, and making me start on page 301! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

My brain is still smoking....!!!!

Any chance there is something a little "easier" to start with.....a "pop-up book" perhaps? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

OH, and by the way....if you help me find more ENTRY-LEVEL information, I will send you the corresponding documents that show all the dimensions (front view and side view) for the 1st Gen Blazers...... I've got the same stuff that was posted for that '82 model, but for the 1st Gen model instead. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You should have bought this book before you got a job!
    http://www.sae.org/servlets/productDetail?PROD_TYP=BOOK&PROD_CD=R-146

I don't have any books that relate to offroad suspensions...all the stuff I have is onroad...but that book will have ALL the info you need! You don't have to read it cover to cover (although you are the type of person that might enjoy it!) just the sections that you are interested in.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI, Stephen Watson started me down the same path and look where I ended up! I got lucky and had technical assistance from him and a friend that builds sprint cars. A lot of the suspension science is the same. I can say it was a lot of fun and sleepless nights. It went a lot better when I just started building it.

Plans are on the drawing board for a three link rear this summer or fall. The rear looks to be much easier.

Good luck!

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Greg if your interested in that Chasis Engineering book let me know I"ll sell it to ya cheaper than you can find it on the net. I bought it and no longer need it, in Exceptional condition

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

how much? i am interested in this kinda stuff, but dont have the time to research everything on the net, (nor the budget to be thinking about it.)

11. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Here is a four link setup on a Bronco. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.broncohio.com/tech/fourlink.html>http://www.broncohio.com/tech/fourlink.html</a>
    I would suggest building a 1/4 scale like Jim did on his bronco and then you can really see how it works. I built one for a blazer and it is fun to play with and try different suspension on them.