Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 link coil set up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rockblazer, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone remember the post about a 3 link coil set up for the front. I tried a search and to no avail. If anyone has any set up ideas or websites let me know please! Thanks, Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

2. I have looked around and every one I found is set-up different. I think a four-link with coilovers would be the best set-up you could go with !! Off-road June 2000 had a airbag set-up in there and the Project 4xQuad has a nice set-up. Avalanche engineering has some pics of there link set-ups I think on there site. I have some pics of a home made 3 link on a Blazer with 44's !! Ultimately I want to 4-link and coilover the Burb with 44's !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

One of the 4x mags did an article about a home made multilink suspension but I can't remember which one it was, I think it was Fourwheeler a couple months ago. It was a 2 part story. I'll dig through the mag stacks and see if I can find it.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I don't recall anything on here, but i've only been on for a month or 2. I am installing a front and rear 4-link (with panhard). It's not too challenging, but you should make a mock-up with cheapo heim joints to make sure of how you want it to work. I'm going to use ford coils and ford spring pockets in the front. I haven't decided on the rear just yet. Quarter-eliptical leaf springs are possible as well as coils and coilovers, but I haven't done the math yet to figger out which one will travel easier/better. I am documenting the process along the way to add to my website. From what i've learned so far about link-bar suspensions, a 3-link where 2 links mount to the top of the diff and "V" out and up to the frame bind under big-travel. The 4-link w/panhard doesn't bind at all, but you get some side-2-side movement, but not enough to worry about.

I would like to find a book on off-road suspension building, but all I can find is stock-car stuff, which don't really dwell on high wheel-travel!

Good luck and let us (ME!) know what you find out.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. From what you were saying , you have them turned around. The four link usually has two bars that go straight forward from the spring perch area(one on each side) and then the two at a "V" from the punkin. 4-links !! And then the 3-link runs the two on the side like the 4-link and then the pan hard bar across to keep the side movement at a minimum. 3-links!! It has been done a million different ways, but when and if I do mine I will do a mock set-up like you suggested to check on the movement range and binding. The old posts were by Boggin' Blazer mostly and he did some disjustice to a few people on here and probably won't be back. I have pics od his set-up still if anyone wants them.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

4 links, like bigburb mentioned, routinely get 30" of travel on off-road race trucks with no side to side deflection. This is with coil-overs. Panhard rods are only good for minimal travel or minimal speed rock-crawlin. Any side to side movement is usually undesireable especially at high speeds. The September issue of Off-Road magazine has a nice article on a 4-link for a Ranger. It shows all the parts involved and where they mount. This is on the rear however.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Yes I would still be interested in the pics. Yeah I am kinda new to the coil thing so this is what I am thinking. I personally do not like the ford set up with the trac arms bolting to drop brackets and bushings, that always pop out, and c- bushings. I was thinking of two trac arms, they would be mounted using an extremly large heims end or perhaps a tractor 3 point hitch ball in socket deal, these would be longer than f-150 arms and mounted up in the boxed area of the frame. I would probably use F-150 coils but am thinking about progressive rate coils, mounted in newer 2wd F150 cups. Nothing extreme, maybe 6" or so. The longer track arms would be attached by way of heims ends. Then a long panhard bar would finish it off. This to the best of my knowledge would be a 3 link. Maybe??? Much more complicated than leafs but so dang cool! Plus I think they will ride a bit better than leafs and the approach angle will be improved significantly.

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

9. Sounds like you have the idea !! I will see where I put those pics and e-mail them to you !!

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I fetched a shot of the Camburg designed Ford style radius arms w/coilovers......These look very cool to me!! I realize these pics are on 2WD, but the theory is the same.

12. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Okay here is my take on things. I like the ford frontend style. The panhard rod is much better than a straight 3 link setup in front, because of the side stress that you will see. The rod ends that are used is not meant to have side stress on them, they will come apart on you in time and I don't like the thought of them coming apart while going down the road. With the 3 link you have steering linkage to work with and get the bump steering correct. Using the panhard is very simple. The panhard needs to be parallel or close to that. The steering will follow that line also. Think if you have 12" with vertical travel you will be getting 24-26" of artiulation. This is more than enough for almost everybody. I will try to get some pictures of the ford frontend and how well it works with a little modification. Here is some broncos and you can see that they work pretty well. http://www.vintagebronco.com/coby/images/twister/

Donovan

13. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

What about what the old hot rodders use to do. they had a 4 link set up with one leaf spring. it went lengthwise, with the axel, and they would have the 4link to hold it in place.they did it to get more travel in there cars, so why wouldn't it work on a truck but on a larger scale?

The best damn junk yard truck i have ever seen

14. I can't even picture that !! Please find one and post it !!

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey bigburb, I'm gonna guess that jyc is talkin' about the old buggy spring on old hotrods. One leaf set mounted parallel to the axel (front or rear) with the hairpins to locate the axle for and aft. The spring was mounted in the center and you used one half for each side......come on ....you remember. I don't think extra travel was the reason for this setup though.
    I'll agree with Donovan on the Broncho setups...they work well and a panhard would be easier to accomodate in the front. A properly setup 4 link would have no side stress on the heims though.

16. I know what he is talking about, I just can't pisture the set-up to tell if it would be a worthwhile set-up !

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The pic that Micheal posted is a 3 link also. It has the two outer links on the bottom of the axle and the "wishbone" style link on the top of the diff housing. This is what most trophy trucks run because it can be set up for about 36-40" of travel very easily and allows for great articulation. The top member does take a lot of lateral stress but when you have the money those teams do, you can get rod ends strong enough to handle it.

Sort of off topic but I heard that the CV joints on the front of the Team MacPhearson truck cost $50,000 each! They can run at a 60+ degree angle at full speed and give the front end about 30" of travel. That's one IFS system I wouldn't mind having on my truck. Heard it on TV so it must be true! [​IMG]

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

18. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Michael I have not seen a properly setup 4 link yet that will not stress the rodends. All 4 links will have stress on them. Look at your picture of the 3 link wish bone setup. They place the top rodend vertical instead of horizontal. Think what you are doing with a 4 link when you place the rodends horizontal. You will stress them just like a three link with the rodend in horizontal. If you put the rodend horizontal in time the rodend will come apart because they are not made to have side stress on them. I think the only way not to stress them is to have the 2 bottom links at 90 degrees angles and the top links also at 90 degree angles. Sorry if I can explain but this is how I think it should be. I will look for some more pictures. Give me time.

Donovan

19. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i've never seen it done.i might be able to find it on an old hot rod and show that. but i don't think i will find it on a truck

The best damn junk yard truck i have ever seen

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Todd at Desert Fab told me that he could hook me up with coil overs for my Jimmy for about $450-550 ea. depending on what set-up i was going with(springs travel, etc..)

His site is at: http://www.desertfab.com

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com