Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 or 4 link

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have my new lower arms built, 1.75 DOM with 3/8" wall and 3/4" chromoly/ kevlar heims. with misalignments on all mounts. I'm thinking of just running one upper link on the passenger side to the top of the axel to control the axel wrap and have it mount to the lower link. Whats the advantage of running one more on the drivers side?
    my new track bar is 1.5 DOM with .250 wall also with 3/4 heims.

Oh this is on my 90 cherokee.

This has been sitting at work for almost 3 weeks now as my stock links were 18" long and maxed out with the 6.5" lift.

just need imput on the 3rd link, yay or nay?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like a radius arm (effectively) on the passenger side?.....Upper and lower mounts on the axle side to a shared connection point on the frame end???

Since you're already commited to a track bar, I'd say you might as well stop at the design you've got. The 4th link could help to locate the axle, but it doesn't sound like you need that...... also, that 4th link is very likely to get in the way of at least some of your steering components.

Fitting a true 4-link up front is a real packaging challenge.... lots of stuff gets in the way.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeah it's the diff side with the driveline in the way. plus if I ever swap to a HP ford 44 i'll have to start over on that one.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

If only one link is connected to the lower link, you are essentially building a wristed radius arm setup. Could work pretty good. May be not so good on the street, but would still work, and probably work well. Remember that all of the braking and acceleration forces will be applied to the side where the links are connected, i.e. the "radius arm" side.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's actually a "Y" with the 3rd being a torgue arm style off of the passenger side frame mount to the top of the axle, this is the arm that will control all the wrap. I'll get pics once I get this home. It's nice having a very understanding boss I have had it in and out of the warehouse at work wrenching on it since i can't make it 100' out of the parking lot. should be done by friday night. with a full front suspension rebuild.