Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3+ ply sidewall tires

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RebelYell, Nov 25, 2001.

1. RebelYell

RebelYell Registered Member

I'm outfitting my Tahoe for our lease and am curious as to what all terrain tires are offered in more than 3 ply. BGF AT's and Wrangler MT-R's are both 3 ply but apparently people tell me cactus thorns will cut throught them like a hot knife through butter. I don't think I want to get more aggressive than a MT-R because of the fact that I still gotta drive this truck everyday. Also would someone tell me what the sidewall designations mean, such as "OWL" and so forth? Thanks.

~MK

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i think "owl" means "outside white letters" but i have also seen it "rwl-raised white letters"
    may be wrong...

sorry, cant help ya on the "desert tires" no thorns here NC!!

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com&gt;www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by yeild2me on 11/25/01 06:08 PM.</FONT></P>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OWL is "outlined white letters"...

I would look into the Big Foot brand of tires. They aren't any thicker but it's a good tire and the warranty coverage is unmatched. You wreck the tire, they replace it. The only tires out there that would be thicker sidewall wise would be bias ply...and they tend to have crappy road manners.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

The michelin atx (i think) are 6 ply on our yukon and they've lasted some harsh beatings.

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My MTRs have held up really well in tire vs. cactus. I got the discount tire warranty for them also so if anything happens I just take it back for another one.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My BFG's have lasted really well in AZ's deserts. I have only cut 2 tires so far offroad. I have run over my far share of cacti in my time, and never had a tire go flat yet. Once a rock went threw the tread, and the other I punctured a sidewall, but it had already been damaged in the exact same spot previously. I was just unlucky enough to hit the same spot again. I have punctured others on road, but there was nothing I could do about those. I've had a 7" nail in a tire, a knife blade I ran over on the road, a house key, and some other wierd sh*t. I love my BFG's in the desert, and I wouldn't trade them for any other tire. The only other tire I would consider running is the MTR. You can't go wrong with either. I have also had great dealings with Discount Tire. They have always treated me well, and there warrantys are good.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. RebelYell

Thanx guys. I think I'm gunno go with the MT-R simply because it's available in 305 and the BFG AT isn't. Yeah yeah I know small tires but I can't afford a lift for my 'hoe yet. Also the MT-R's can deal with the Brazos mud better than the AT's. Apparently both these tires have like 7 or 8 ply but the sidewalls only have 3 ply which is what each manufacturer showed on their site (morons...) anyways thanks for the replies. Any other tips are always appreciated.

~MK

"Like a Rock"

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I were you, I'd use my current tires for the road and get a set of Bias plys.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. RebelYell

Yeah but I can't sit and switch tires all the time. Just not worth it. Besides I want bigger tires hehehe.

~MK