Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 prong fuel gauge wiring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, May 17, 2005.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i took out all my gauges today, along with the cluster, and re connected my speedo, but i can't figure out how the fuel gauge wires back up.. there's a plug with like 18 wires on it, i know the pink=sender, black=gnd, and pink with stripe=ign... and the fuel gauge has 3 prongs on it.. what wire goes to which prong? i tried all i could, either it would peg full, go to empty, or not do anything.. i touched some wires earlier and blew a fuse. i think my sender wire is shorted because now i can't figure it out.. is there a fuse or fusable link to the pink sender wire? everything worked fine before so i think the fuse i blew must have done something else too..

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No fuse on the pink wire, it doesn't pass through the fuse panel. It may come in through the fuse panel connector, but it isn't fused.

I'm a little confused on the wiring issue though, are you going aftermarket or something?

You will probably be well served to use external sources for the 12V and the ground for testing. You can temporarily run a wire from any "hot" accessory terminal on the fuse panel, and you can run a ground anywhere that is clean. Probably wouldn't hurt to wire a blade fuse inline on the 12V though if you do this.

My recent discovery with my '86-ish cluster wiring is that the grounds and 12V feeds are not always what you think, or don't do what you think they do. Unless you follow the printed circuit and match the circuit path up to the connector and wires on it, you are likely to have problems.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

One wire goes to the sending unit, one goes to 12 volts, and one goes to ground.

I'll see if I can remember to check what color the wires are when I get home from shcool tonight.

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea i just thought about following the printed circut to see which wire is what..
    Yea, i have been in the middle of this for a while, i wanted to rip all the stuff out that i don't use and i'm keeping the fuel and speedo for now so i'm hooking the speedo back up.