Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 questions. Hydro assist, doubler, and starter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 10, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

First off, the dirt stick chevy is ready to run. All I have to do is wire it up and put fluids in everything. It will run this weekend!!!

First question. With the Hydro assist, what kind of fluid do I need to use. Can I get away with using regular fluid or do I need to use synthetic? Could I use Dexron III? I have the resovoir extended and a cooler on it. The pump is tricked out to flow more too, don't know if that matters or not.

Second question. Neither the doubler adapter nor the 203 range box have a vent line (it is the WMS doubler). The 205 has a vent but it is in its own separate, sealed unit. Will I be ok with no vent. The adapter should have had one in it if I needed it right?

Third question. When wiring the chevy alternator, can I run the selonoid wire out of the fuse box to the starter button then down to the selonoid with no fusable link?

It will run this weekend...oh yes...it will run....muhahahahaha

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

My Jeds doubler adapter has a breather in it. I would think that it would need something.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

My NWF doubler also has a breather in it.

Dexron III is what I use.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

ORD--breather yes

fluid-I use "something" SynPower. and only that. have had Zero problems

wiring-- Dunno

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Odd that your doubler wouldn't have a breather...

Rene

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

As far as the fluid goes, I read a write up recently on tractor fluid that I will be using with my hydro assist. It is supposed to have several advantages including better cooling. It is for sale at O'reillys so I can always get it locally.

7. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

I've run my 83 k20 for the past 2 years, and my blazer for the past 6 months without those pain in the but fusable links. And I dont know about the breather or the fluid, but i have read that tractor fluid is the way to go and i would think that it would need a breather, but i aint sure

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I used regular PS fluid. Had an electrical engineer friend come over and wire it for me. Needless to say it works great. Fired right up. The PS pump flows like crazy after doing the pump mods. I am so excited. I might actually be able to go wheeling this year.