Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 questions.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by elacruze, Mar 26, 2004.

1. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

1. My 4x4 steering box is...high mileage. I have a 2wd box. Can I install crossover steering on an unlifted '85 K35 6.2 diesel? Can I do it with high-steer arms?

2. Why does ORD include a PTO cover with doubler? I have a PTO hydraulic pump and I'd like to keep it on the 205 for optional speeds.

3. I have a slip-yoke 205. Are all fixed yoke 205 parts the same, so I can use a Ford/Dodge 205 to steal the FY from?

Thanks

Eric

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think you will fit crossover steering on an unlifted rig.

The PTO cover goes on the Range box so you have a place to fill it will oil.

There are 205's with 10, 30, 31, and 32 spline front outputs. I am pretty sure the 10, and 30 spline is a GM only thing, but I believe the 31 and 32 splines are a Ford thing and i'm not sure about Dodge.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can put the 4WD sector shaft in the 2WD box and it will work the same. Then I will pay you for shipping on the 2WD sector shaft to AZ. x-over will not fit without a lift. It will also cost more than a new box.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think you can fit the crossover on a stock height truck, and I'm not even sure you'd need it, the GM steering works pretty well with up to a 3-4" lift.

The PTO cover is for the oil fill, without it, you have to get pretty creative putting oil in the 203. Keeping the PTO on the 205 wouldn't be a problem at all.

The ford and dodge rear outputs do interchange with the GM slip yoke type shaft, you just have to watch for the speedo gear variations. You will want to keep whatever speedo gear setup you get on the shaft it came with. Later versions have a splined shaft where the speedo gear rides, earlier versions were smooth.

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Speaking of 2wd steering boxes, when I go to crossover would their be a benefit to getting a 2wd box off of a 3/4 or 1 ton as opposed to a 1/2 ton box? Trying to avoid hydro to steer my 38s

6. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Anyone??? Is the 3/4 or 1 ton box beafier? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone??? Is the 3/4 or 1 ton box beafier? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They are all the same.

8. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

That kind of sucks, I figured that though becaue if they were bigger I'd have seen more about them

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif