Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5floyd, Jan 22, 2007.

1. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

rather than making 3 diff threads i will just put all of my questions in 1 thread. first question, is there a cheaper longer lasting alternative to brake cleaner? i mean i know it aint expensive but when you use as much of it as i do it starts to get expensive and i doesnt last very long. second question, recently i replaced the pinion bearing and side bearing in my rear 10b, not too long after that the new pinion seal started leaking as well as the axle seals. so replaced them all the seals and now the pinion seal is leaking again a bit worse this time. now i dont know a whole lot about to tell but the trans guy that helped me through the process of taking that rear end apart both times checked the yoke and said it looked ok. both times when replaced the seal i put that white pipe sealant stuff on the splines of the yoke. should i try replacing the yoke or could there be something wrong with the houseing where the seal goes in? third question, if i do end up replacing the yoke would it be worth upgrading to a 1350 yoke and either using the conversion ujoint or getting the yoke replaced on the driveshaft as well to get rid of the slight binding i am getting at full droop and making easier to wehn i can afford to go 3/4? i thought i had another question but if i think of it i will post up. thanks guys

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

try some spacing and paragraphs next time, PLEASE!!!

try a little silicone sealer on the edge of the pinion seal where it fits to the housing, also, try not to overfill the diff, the extra pressure forces the fluid out...

brake parts cleaner is that, brake parts cleaner, nothing else works the same, you can use mineral spirits to clean parts, but it takes a lot longer to dry, but is reuseable...

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My guess is that you did not use a new crush sleeve each time and the nut on the yoke is loosening up and then the seal starts to leak.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you grease the seals before you installed them?

Made that mistake changing a pinion seal once, was back under there in less than two weeks changing it again. Greased seal, no leaks.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

IF you installed everything in the rear end correctly there is a possibility that there is a groove worn in the yoke that is causing it to leak.

A 1350 yoke would make a joke of your rear end. The 1310 u-joint will hold up to way more than anything else in the rear end.

6. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

ok i used a new crush sleeve the first time when i put all new bearing in and it still leaked, but the second time around i re-used it an now it is leaking worse.
    and dyeager535, when you say grease the seal do you mean rub a lil gear lube on it or actuall grease?

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

He meant pack the inside channel of the seal with wheelbearing grease, I believe. That is what I do.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

brake cleaner..

I too hate paying 3.99 for a can of brake cleaner!..it costs more than the parts sometimes!...it takes at least two cans to clean anything too,one never seems to be enough..:mad:

There isn't many alternatives to it unfortunately...if you try using gas or laquer thinner the fire hazard is dangerous (and neither is any cheaper !)..anything else I've tried takes forever to dry,or can harm brake pads and shoes..carbon tetrachloride they use for dry cleaning is about the same thing,but is costly and difficult to get in bulk quantity,unless you own a dry cleaning bussiness..

Only way I've been able to save money on brake cleaner is to find a store willing to give a discount on a whole case of it...I bought a case of 12 cans of "CRC" Brakleen for 30 bucks where I once worked--usual price was 3.99 each..but its rare for me to have 30 bucks to blow on just brake cleaner--usually I'm lucky to have enough for just the parts,and have to do without the goodies like brake cleaner..

I was getting a lot of "used" cans from a friend who works at a dealership--they give him a new can for every car he works on,and after a few weeks he has a dozen cans of Brake cleaner ,silicone spray,RTV silicone gasket sealer,etc,piling up under his toolbox,that are still nearly full..he was giving a lot of it to me,but I don't know if he still works there,I haven't seen him around for a few months..he said we was thinking of quitting,and moving away!..:doah:

9. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

ok i will replace the seal and use a bit of rtv around the edge and greese on the inside of it and use a new crush sleeve. how much does a new yoke run and where would be the cheapest place to get a new one?