Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 Reasons

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rustyk5, Sep 8, 2005.

1. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Top 3 reasons to own a 6.2 K5

#3: Room for 4 adults comfortably and lots of gear

#2: 2.99 a gallon for kero while everyone else is paying $3.50

#1: Went on a 220 mile fishing/hiking trip, lopts of highway and tote roads
    -----------> 22mpg average :wink1:

2. levib

levib Registered Member

You didn't include my #1 reason to have a 6.2L. Wont die out no matter how steep the hill!

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--time to switch trucks!

I was a bit pissed while pumping 10 bucks of gas into my 79 C10 yesterday,at 3.15 a gallon--when I looked over at the diesel pump,and its 2.89 a gallon!..I HAD been leaving the diesel parked,because until the past few weeks,its been more for diesel than gas!..I got just over 3 gallons of gas,which will take me about 40-45 miles (maybe!)...in my diesel,ten bucks worth is nearly 4 gallons now,and it will go 80 miles on that much fairly easy...so when I got home I fixed the slow leak in my 82 K20 so I can once again diesel my way around town!.. :D

I'm not looking forward to replacing the rusted and patched up tranny lines though,and the oil cooler lines look scary too--pretty crispy! :eek1: --I bet those are costly,hard to find,and I might not be able to get them out of the radiator without wrecking the tank in it :doah: --I might have to buy an aftermarket oil cooler,or see if I can just eliminate it without causing engine damage... :confused:

I guess its time I put the "For Sale" sign on my 79 C10 :( --hate to sell it,but I'm running out of money,and cant afford three vehicles on the road anymore..life sucks,what can you do??... :crazy:

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

diesel is $2.69 today here :D

5. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

My #1 reason is MY 6.2 had 289,000 when I bought it 3 years ago and it sill runs good!! Oh yeah and its paid for! :D

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Something is wrong with the pricing of diesel !!!! I know here in Washington and Oregon diesel is always anywhere from 10 cents to 20 cents higher per gallon :mad:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:confused: thought kerosene was dyed? and that you weren't sposed to run it over the road? :confused:

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

No, that's just dyed off-road diesel.

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup, In AZ its .20-.30 higher than unleaded :( Kinda sucks, it's a wash between driving 7000 lb dually 6.2 and a 350 K10 gasser.

10. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

My Reasons in addition to the ones alredy mentioned.
    1. Leave it parked for as long as I need to while busy with other stuff and not have to worry about a gummed up carb. And in the winter theres none of this crank it up and feather the throttle and ten seconds later it dies routine untill its warm. Once its running its running. Just a little fuel and air is all it asks for.

2. Crank it up, dump the clutch and crawl over any obstacle you wish no matter how steep. usage of the accelerator pedal is optional.

3. Diesels are just plain cool no matter what. I can sit here and justify my diesel with fuel economy numbers and torque ratings but the truth is they just plain rock, and its cool to have something else in common with semis and earth moving equipment that the gas guys don't.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well here in cali diesel is 20 cents more than premium unleaded but still worth it since it gets more MPG.
    I still love my diesel no matter what, although my K5 is being parted out now the frame is shot and it's time to move on to another project.
    The Perkins will be stored waiting for another project to live in but now I am building a crew cab K5 frankenstein with banks turboed 6.2
    :D

12. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Diesel right down the street is 2.79 a gallon! :D
    I should even better on my MPG when I go to 33's with my 3.08s :p:

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I had 3.08's in my K5 with the 35" tires, but I also had the turbo diesel to turn them.
    :bow: