Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 Speed Strength?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, Dec 19, 2004.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I'm gathering the pieces up to build a turboed and injected 292 for my 70 Blazer. What kind of HP and torque can my stock 3 speed take without grenading. I don't want to change out the tranny and transfer case.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Three speed??

You must have a rare 3 speed muncie tranny and a dana 20 transfer case!!
    I think it will live as long as you dont rev it up and drop the clutch too many times--a 292 is a very torquey motor,I've seen them in dirt track cars that would whip the V8's in the turns!!--it might be strong enough to hurt something if you whale on it long enough,both the 3 speed and the dana 20 arent exactly a brute stength design,but I've seen a few K5's that plowed a lot all their lives and didnt have any trouble...even if they do grenade,at least a SM465 and a NP205 setup wont be hard to install--at least the clutch pedals are already there!!.:crazy:

3. 3 on the tree

I don't want to tear up any of the original parts on this rig, it only has 72,000 miles on it. I have a good 292 located, and the injectors and computer off a 88 3.8 buick so far,still wondering if I should try to adapt the crank fired ignition also, along with the coil pack.

4. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

my '73 k-10 has a 3-speed with a 205 case and the 350 is worn out but have never had a problem out of the tranny. I can tell that the motor has been rebuilt atleast once by the previous owner. When i bought it for 600 it had 35's on it and covered in mud. the other couple 3 speeds i had in 2x4 chevys done good also a '68 350 3 with 33's that pulled trailers and smoked tires great. My brothers '52 2x that had a 292 with the 3 speed and ran 36's for years. Everyone tells me it takes alot to break one i just miss the low gear.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Sorry to be a thread pirate, but where did you hear about the SFI swap with Buick stuff? I am curious about this. I also know where a good 292 is, and I know where a bunch of Series I buicks are...hmm. :thinking:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Why did they drop the straight six??

I never understood why GM dropped the straight six motors in 84 in favor of the sawed off V8 4.3 motors--the ford 300 six was a great motor once it was fuel injected,and I think if GM had tried putting EFI on the 250 and 292 motors,they would have run great...but maybe they thought the sixes lasted too long and were too durable,and wouldnt sell more trucks fast enough?-or maybe emission problems??--they did revive the inline six in the new Denali's,but they dont have anything in common with the older sixes--but GM found the inline motors made more torque and ran smoother than any V6 would--I've heard those Denali motors scream like a beehive,they wind up a lot higher than the "old" straight sixes...

At a local car show I saw an old coupe with a 250 six,and a buick grand national 3.8 V6 turbo adapted to it,with a clifford research 4 bbl manifold and headers--the guy said it will pin you back in the seat more than the mild 350 he had in it when he bought it..it definatly sounded pretty mean,and it was cool looking too!:crazy:

7. 3 on the tree

I didn't hear about this setup anywhere. I have a 88 Buick with a bad 3.8 in it, and I figured iff I kept all the FI hardware, the motors are close enough in size for the injection to work. The interesting part is going to be building an intake manifold for it.

8. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I was told by a few at work that the striaght six was dropped because of emmisions. The first and last cylinders did not get the same mixture as the closer ones even with tbi. But they thought it would now that more are going to individual injecters for every cylinder. Also that if that these motors never needed much work and ran along time they were not makeing the money on them that they were on other motors. I wish my truck had come with a 6 in front of the 3speed instead of the 350.