Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 to 1 NP205 gears becoming reality

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stephen, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's about the scoop, sometime around Feb of next year we should have them available. That's assuming testing and all go as planned but it all looks good so far. Preliminary pricing looks like about $750 or so for the set. That's obviously +/- as much as $100 more or less.
    As this date becomes closer and more firm (a closer, firmer date, HMMMMM /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) we may look at creating a list for the first batch to help manage the initial rush.

I think this could be a pretty cool deal. Doubler kit with 2,3 and 6:1 gearing, wahoo! And the gears are in the right place to work right, the 205! Or even in a general use 4wd, 3:1 could work well as a single transfer case. I'm showing about 42:1 with 4.56's, 3:1 'case and a TH700. That's a pretty decent crawl with a single case and would work well with smaller tires in smaller terrain and could really shine in wheelspin intensive terrain like sand, snow, mud, etc.

This could be the hot ticket for big tires, big rocks, low numeric axle ratios and TH350 and TH400 trannies. Once again you can save the money on 5.13 diff gears and 3:1 TH400 gears and still end up with a HUGE crawl ratio and strong ring and pinions. Calculations say 62:1 with a TH350, 6:1 Doubler t-case and 4.10 axle gears. That's where I'm at now with a TH700 and 5.13's and standard 4:1 Doubler and I rarely want more and if there was no other option, could gladly live with it.

Of course 94:1 will be fun to play with!

Then there's 180:1 with an SM465 and 4.56 axle gears.....

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've been waiting for someone to make these for 3 years now! With the 465 tranny and 3:1 t-case gears the doubler would hardly even be neccessary anymore, it would be a 100:1 with 5.13s /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif . Thanks a bunch Stephen, and please keep us posted! If fundage allows I will be the first to sign up for a set. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Woohoo!! I could afford that... next year. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6.55 x 6. x 3.73 = 147:1

And I can still get 15 MPG!
    I only have 97:1 now. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

YEAH BABY!!!

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that would be awesome keep us posted /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dibs! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Oh yeah......wrong forum! It DOES sound interesting though. And I just love being the "first kid on the block" with some new gadget......! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

What about the case itself? Will it need any machine work? I only ask b/c I'm about to strip a 205 down to get it machined for the bigger TH400 bearing for a doubler. Just trying to make one trip to the machine shop, and one rebuild of the t-case...... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BIGJ

7. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I'm very interested. keep us informed. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Definitely a future purchase. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Put me in line!

10. Stephen

They shouldn't require machining on the case but since this is pretty preliminary, it's hard to say. There are variations in case shape so we definitely can't rule it out.

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Is this something ORD is doing or is it JB conversions?

12. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Even though I am in the process of collecting parts for the "doubler", I would still be interested in the 3:1 drop in gears too! Kewl!

13. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Will you take your 205 in trade of your new 205?? I will even throw in some cash. You got my # so let me know when I can put it in my truck! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that question is what was popping in my mind as well.
    followed by "what input shaft will it work with?"
    or
    "is it just the 2 big gears and counter set?"

15. Stephen

John White's building the gear set. We've just been talking with him about marketability, options, testing, etc. We'll be carrying and installing them in cases for sure. I finally came up with a situation where I wanted more crawl than I have already. Not by much but a lower gear would have been nice to have.
    Input configurations are still up in the air. Not sure what's going to happen 1st but 31,32 short, 27, and 10 are the front runners, not necessarily in that order but close to it.
    I think any serious offroad vehicle over 100" wheelbase is still going to be best off with a Doubler kit 1st to get to 4:1, then maybe adding the low gears. Short vehicles or milder use trucks will be fine with 3:1 in the 205 and can always Doubler up in the future.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thank you, that nailed all my questions down.

17. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Stephen, just curious, you made reference to "or milder use trucks " is there a question of strength? I don't mean to imply that this would be an inferior product I'm just simply curious. I know, for example, that the Atlas product has a limitation of around 500 ft.lbs., so I was just wondering if it may have a limit to its application.

Thanks for the great info! I'm really glad to see this product is coming!

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Stephen,

So, will this gearset replace the input gear? If so, we could just order it in TH400 32 spline short version to convert our not-so-desirable NP205 10, 27 and 31 spline to the Brute Strength TH400 version. This could also allow people to plan for future doubler install by having the appropriate gear. I mean, if you are ordering the gearset anyway, might as well have the 32 spline!

It would also allow me to sell my TH400 version NP205 and install the new gearset in a cheaper, more common NP205 and have the bearing seat enlarged for the larger TH400 input.

Does this make sense /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

19. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

THAT SOUNDS GREAT, GUESS I'LL HOLD OFF ON THAT T-CASE REBUILD FOR AWHILE!! I HAVE A FEW OTHER PLANS THAT CAN BE PUSHED UP WHILE I/(WE) WAIT.

20. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I have looked at doing this and I can't see how they can do it without major case mods. I have heard talk about this before and the other company couldn't figure it out. Is this just talk or have they really done it?