Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 welding questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, May 11, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

1) Is a 110 wire feed enough to weld new spring perches on my 14bolt? Specifically the DIY4x perches.

2) Is a 110 wire feed enough to do a slider/rocker replacement? I'm getting 10 feet of 2x3 3/16 wall square tube for $20.00, so I'm gonna try and make some sliders.

3) I'm picking up a 1-ton 14bolt Saturday, which I believe has a Gov-lock. Can I Lincoln lock this thing with a Gov-lock? I'm planning on going to 4.88's next spring, and a Detroit, but for now I just wanna wheel what I got.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

As to #1, look in the vendor section, he is coming out with something new....

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I couldn't find it. Where in the Vendor section?

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

I will answer this for a Lincoln 135 w/ .035 flux core wire.

#1 - it is good to 1/4". So if your application is within this parameter you are good to go.

#2 - See #1

#3 - I don't know.

Hope this helps.

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I do a lot with a little mig but no way I'd do the spring perches with it. The sliders, With some carefull beveling and take your time ( duty cycle ) maybe. If a slider falls off, no biggie. But the perches, tack 'em where you want 'em then transport it to a place where you can get 'em burned in right.
    A trick I used on my little lincoln was I added a external cooling fan to move more air thru it. Seems to give me a longer duty cycle.

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I did mine with a lincoln 100. worked fine and survived a few 400hp burnouts in 4lo!:doah::doah:

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

the 14bolt gov lock is a pretty stout unit, the ones that give ppl trouble are the 10 bolt ones.

If you want to just get out and wheel, i woudl run it for a while.

But yes, you could easily weld up a gov lock with a wire feed......just take your time. Not exactly a huge saftey issue if it does happen to break anyways.....

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

A decent welding machine in the hands of a good welder is capable of alot of things. If you ever meet az-k5 look at his rig. 95% of the welds on that truck are done with a welder that you would laugh at and never think could have put that truck together. If you are not a good hand at welding then find someone who is to weld the spring perches on and weld the 14bff. To weld a govlock you basically weld everything to everything as best you can and hope it doesn't go boom. Melt all the stuff together and you should be good.

Harley

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Seems like there must be a trick to welding up an axle. I welded the pinion to the ring gear on the gear set that broke in Moab - you know a conversation piece:D - and I noticed most of the tacks have cracks in them.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'd say go with the flux core and crank up the heat. Here's some DIY4X perches welded onto a 14Bff with a millermatic 110 wire feed.

[​IMG]

12. theperfectgarage

Looks good to me.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I cleaned my mask, and it was as if I gained experience at the same time. I was pretty happy about it, too bad none of the stuff on my truck looks that good, as it was a buddy's axle. I think that you can get most things done with a 110 if you're using flux core though. One of the bit differences was welding with a real extension cord, not the cheasy retractable one. Also shutting off other things...like the 500w halogen light, or stop your buddy who's using the angle grinder 10 ft away...gives you a lot more power.

14. theperfectgarage

You got that right, I made a big ass gauge, short as I could get away with ext. cord. It makes a big difference. Add a little fan to the air intake grill and push more air, you can weld longer between cool downs. I use .035 flux wire and the " good stuff " not the harbor freight stuff. Tried it, did'nt like it.

15. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Now,thats some nice work!!!!