Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 Wheel drive?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Nov 20, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I'll be going to my cabin this weekend and was wondering that since I have 4.10s in the rear and 3.73 in the front if it might be possible to use 3 wheel drive in an emergency situation by locking one hub. The front is a 10 bolt with Warn premium hubs but not sure what kind of diff I have (the rear use to be a gov-lock if that helps). Just wondering if it would bind the driveline and mess anything up ... or would all the torque go to the free wheel and not do any good?

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have an open diff, or even a limited slip, in the front only locking one hub in will not do anything as all of the power will be transfered to the free side.

In a situation when the tires are spinning in 2wd, such as in mud or snow, you can shift into four wheel drive without any problems because there is more than enough slippage to make up for the different gear ratios......especially since there really isn't that huge of a difference between 3.73 and 4.10.

3. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

In a emergency i would you 4 wheel drive but only for 10 feet and in the mud. I know a guy that had 2 diffrent tire sizes on his 4 wheel drive truck and lost control at 40 mph and rolled it so if all you are asking is can I use it for a minute yes If it's really muddy I(myself) would drive in it anyway the whole time in the woods.

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

40 mph on the street in snow