Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 Wire installed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 8, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

WOW! Burb idles so much better. Before it was almost like I had a crappy camshaft. Loped stupidly. Now its just a nice constant idle. Seems like the thing on CFM-Tech saying about the motor cycling from lean to rich at low rpm/idle was quite true. Power when the motor is cold is far better too. Throttle response from idle is better as well. I should have done this a long time ago. Throttle response still isn't GREAT but its better. Still a little lag like I'm feeding it too much air. Sounds like my dad's race car did when the secondaries were adjusted way too easy.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Part Number?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So what's involved with installing a 3 wire 02 sensor? One of the wires hooks up to the original sensor wire correct? What about the other two wires, where do they hook up.

4. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

One wire goes to original sensor wire.One wire goes to an ignition on power source .third wire is ground.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep simple as that.

Bosch Part # 13077

6. jim burke

jim burke Registered Member

Is a 3-wire the same as a heated O2 sensor? Is that Bosch part number considered a "wide-band" sensor? What year(s) would that Bosch sensor fit?

TIA.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No it is not a "wide-band" sensor. Yes it is a heated sensor. Bosch sensor will fit what you want it to. I think the part number I gave is meant for a mid 90s Chevy. Say a 1500 Vortec 350. It screwed right into the O2 bung on my 89 Burb. I had to rewire it a bit but that was a really simple process(once I got the solder working with me).

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of extra used 4 wire sensors from a 98 K2500 and short pieces of the harness including the correct plug for the sensors that I have been meaning to sell. Let me know if anyone is interested.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just put a 4 wire in my truck today, pretty sweet :D
    i wanna hook up a meter to tune with it, like they suggest in cfmtech.com.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have an A/F meter I am tempted to throw a bung in the passeneger exhaust and check out what I'm running at.

I was considering going with a 4 wire but just went with the 3. No real reasoning...

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i dont think it makes a ton of difference between the 3 or 4. i asked for a 3 wire, and the parts guy hooked me up with a universal 4 wire(no plug to cut off, just wires). i think it was under 60 w/ my discount. :deal:

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my 3 wire was $54 with my discount :D

Tomorrow I'm going to cut the soldered section out. After wheeling my truck is running like ass again. Its idling crappy and surging. Think the solder connection got messed up so I am gonna put a solderless connector in. Hopefully that fixes it.

13. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Don't take this the wrong way but how do you think a solderless connector is better than solder? and how do you think you messed up a soldered connection? :confused:

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I was told the other day when I did this that soldering the steel wires(or whatever the wires are since they aren't copper) doesn't work well and a solderless connector is better.