Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3 wire oxygen sensor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 7, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok guys, think Im going to put a 3 wire heated o2 sensor in my truck. Ive seen people talking about a gm harness for the 3 wire hookups, how much is it, what is the part number, and is it needed? Also what vehicle should I get the 3 wire o2 sensor for? IS it precat, postcat, etc? Also what is the approx price of the sensor. Thanks guys. Chris.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know where to get the harness, but a 3-wire O2 sensor for a '94 350 Suburban should work just fine. The last one I bought was $60. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Oh yeah, it's a pre-cat sensor. I don't think the post-cat sensing came about until OBD II.

3. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I just put a Bosch 3-wire sensor in my 88' blazer and it came with everything I needed. Autozone sells 2 kinds, one is a universal fit which is what I got. Took me about an hour to hook up. I can't remember what year truck I told the Autozone guy to enter into the computer though. I'm not sure what year GM went to a 3 wire. I think mine was $65 after tax. And I did notice a slight improvement on engine performace when it was still cold. Hope this helps.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am putting a 4-wire in mine and I am using a Bosch O2 sensor (#13474) with the factory GM connecotr for a 1997 K1500 pickup. The GM connector number for the 4-wire is #12167154.

The O2 sensor was $56.42 and the connecotr was $27.86

I just figure the price between a 3-wire and 4-wire isn't that much and the 4-wire has a much more accurate signal to the ECM...

Chris

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

BTW, alot of the times, the O2 sensore are the same number for pre- and -post cat...I just went to work and got one that was COMMON so it would be super spendy (like the $190 O2 sensor on my roomies Audi /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)

I also have the wiring specs for the 4-wire...ON the 4-wire, there are 2 grounds and 1 power 12v+ and one signal...

Chris

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Havent bought it yet, going to probably tomorow, got a number off napa's website for the 94 burban, it is BSA-13077, and its $50.99. Its a bosch sensor. This is probably the one I will get, my problem is that when I start the truck i have to hold it about half throttle for a min or so (till the sensor warms up i guess) before it will idle, otherwise chokes on gas. Gotta love performance chips. Anyway, after some research the heated ones warm up in 10 secs so that should be an improvement. Thanks.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmmm, OBD I systems don't go into closed loop until the coolant temp reaches 160 degrees. This makes me think that the heated O2 sensor isn't going to fix your cold-start problem. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The first thing that I would check would be to hook up a scanner when the engine is cold and see what the ECM thinks the engine temp is. It should read VERY close to the ambient temperature. If it's off considerably then the cold start mixture will be out of whack.