Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

30 spline 10 bolt/28 spline

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Are there differences between the housing between the 2? Can a 28 spline carrier go into a 30 spline housing?

Thanks in advance

Kyle
    89K5

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yes.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Yes to the first question...or the second? [​IMG] If it's yes to the second, then I'll have a 30 spline carrier/gears/ and axles for sale

Kyle
    89K5

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The housings are the same. You can put in the 30spl shafts if you use a 30spl carrier.

On a side note. W/ 30spl I have heard that the carrier is weaker because it uses the same size bearing and has a larger spline in it (the walls are thinner). If you are going to go w/ 30spl use a aftermarket carrier because they are stronger.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

The carrier of a 30 spline is weaker. But if you replace it like with say with an arb set up then you are fine. And if someone like Jess at Highangle makes stronger joints then you will benefit from that.... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Quit shooting corn at me!
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Sorry about my vagueness. Yes... They can use the same carrier. However, I was reading about the HD chrome moly shafts from ORD and also learned that the 30 spline is not as common and considered to be a special order axle. Harder to find parts for when you need them. If you want a stronger axle in a 10-bolt, go with the ORDs. They provide a lifetime guarantee. For 10-bolts in general, the weakest links are the small u-joint up front and the carriers.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not overly fond of my 10 bolt anyway, but I'm running a 28 spline right now and looking for spares. I can't find anyone that wants a complete 30 spline setup, so I'm thinking I may have to aprt it out. My plan is to have the other housing laying around for backup.

Trust me on this one, I've thought through every option. For the time being, I'll be sticking with my 28 spline and my lockrite. Not the strongest, but it's paid for. Tough to say how much money I'll put into any of this, at some point it just becomes cheaper to buy a 60.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Kyle
    89K5

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Let me know when you're ready to sell those 30-spline shafts.

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I thought you were out of the 10 bolt business?

Kyle
    89K5