Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

30 spline 10 bolt facts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With all the talk about 10 bolts and wanting to beef them up, the 30 spline might not be the way to go....
    This was from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1185/n3_v31/19071722/p3/article.jhtml?term=>http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1185/n3_v31/19071722/p3/article.jhtml?term=</a>
    10-Bolt Corporate

The GM 10 Bolt is found in the front and rear. They both use an 8 1/2-inch ring gear. It has a good reputation for having a strong ring and pinion. The 28-spline early models are the most desirable.

When GM changed to the 30 spline, they increased the axle diameter without increasing the carrier's bearing, journal size. This weakened the carrier journal, and in extreme conditions, the carrier has been known to break at this point. This occurs before the smaller diameter 28spline axle would have broke. Gear ratio split is 2.56:1

I assume this is true

I know some folks (like ChevyCaGal/Steph) has been looking for 30 spline units for strength, but that MAY not be the way to go. As stated before I had good luck with my well maintained/and abused 28 spline unit.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Welp too late for me I paid for it.... if I die in an axle explosion due to it sucked then you all will know not to go this route! [​IMG] I think it'll be ok, front 10b and rear 14b sf.... lots of toys added in!

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Steph, maybe you could get the imaginary 10 bolt front from Blazerbabes K5 (if bigfoot ever returns it), I heard those imaginary 10 bolts are extremely tough (makes the D60 look like a toothpick) [​IMG].

On a more serious note, I think you should be OK. A ten bolt is pretty strong and I assume (from what you said), you are not building a dedicated trail rig or will take it to the most extreme trails, so you should be fine. I just saw the article and thought people might like to know. Sorry I didn't find it sooner for you, my bad [​IMG]

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

that's true! It is impossible to break an imaginary 10-bolt! [​IMG]

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's going to have ARB in the front and I am going to go get some of those chrome shafts instead of the regular ones and give them a whirl because nobody has the stock for sale. Or they have the whole axle and refuse to sell it in pieces.... so I am gonna either go with ORD or Moser. Then I am gonna get some u-joints from Jesse at High Angle and try this set up to how it works. I also plan to truss it and get a diff guard. I'm more concerned with a rock smashing stuff up then anything... I won't be beating it to death but believe me I won't be trying to baby it either. Once I get my winch I would be willing to try Tank Trap too! [​IMG]

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The weakend part of the 30 spline 10 bolt is the carrier. If you are going with an ARB, it replaces the carrier. Problem solved.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Good to know. I was going to step up to 30 spline in the front and use a lock right. guess I will stick with the 28 spline.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmmm...wonder if all this techno babble applies to my Jimmy's rear-10-bolt...it has a 30-spline...but it was part of the Warn full-floater kit...

J

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Steph, if you were going to change the carrier the whole time, why didn't you just put a 28 spline carrier in your front axle?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, you are correct about the stock (notice I said stock) 30 spline carriers being weaker than the 28's, but installing a good aftermarket diff like a Detroit Locker should more than compensate for any weaknesses.

Basically for the rear 10-bolt I would definitely recommend going to 30-spline axles in an upgrade. The front I'm not so sure about. Since there's about an equal chance of breaking the axle u-joints as compared to the shafts, and that factory 30-spline fronts are hard to come by (plus they are necked down at the inner splines like the 28's are), I would be tempted to just stay with the 28 spline versions. I also believe that Stephen Watson at ORD will tell you that the chromoly versions of the 28 spline shafts are stronger than the u-joints anyway, so going 30 spline in the front doesn't net you much.