Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

30' travel trailer and Shortbed K10

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 85scottsdale, Feb 24, 2005.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if this will work? The truck is an 85 K10 which will soon have 4.10 geared 3/4 ton axles under it, 350 engine with lots of bolt-ons, 700r4 transmission with some upgraded parts and the biggest street cooler B&M makes. Anyway, its not the drivetrain i'm worried about, its the wheelbase and whether the truck will handle the trailer.

I have a Class V hitch and load distributing hitch and anti-sway bar for the hitch setup, truck still needs brake controller, but i'm going to install one anyway.

The biggest load i'v towed with this truck so far is a 2k lb u-haul car trailer with a 82 RX-7 on it that weighed in probably around 2500 lbs, so it was about 4500 lbs and it towed fine even with 3.42 gears and 33" tires, I ran about 70mph on the highway with it.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Wheelbase is too short, and the trailer probably weighs more than your truck. IMHO. I don't think you will like how it handles. More than likely you will smoke your 700R4 as well. Sorry, just my .02

3. 85scottsdale

Well, i'm not worried about the 700r4, I built it myself and it should be ok with the big cooler and I also have lockup in 3rd gear.

But I figured the wheelbase would be too short, i'v towed it with a 97 burb with 5.7L vortec and 3.73 gears and it pulls ok, but its got a good bit on wheelbase.

I'm not sure what the actual weight of the trailer is, but my truck weighs 4660 lbs with no spare and no people and only 9 gallons of fuel, basically 4660 completely empty.

I think your right about the wheelbase either way, too short for a 30' trailer.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I agree that the wheelbase is a tad too short. I used to tow a 23' travel trailer with my K5 with 4" lift and 35's. It handled OK with the load equalizing hitch and bars, but 30' is getting a little too long. Same travel trailer towed with my 97 ext. cab longbed is so different with the long wheelbase of the truck.

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

i tow a 30' TT with a 91 sub, and i'm thankfull for every inch of wheelbase! I've also got a Class V on it, but with the style bumper (ranch hand), it effectively moves the pivot point back about a foot or better which is something i don't care for at all. Guess there's a formula about length of TV & TT and even with the sub, i'm a tad short of the 'recommended' w/b for a 30 footer!
    I wouldn't even try towing 30 feet with anything shorter..... (just my $$00.02 worth, but that's a PRE-TAX figure).. :)

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much does this trailer weigh? Your 700R4 should be plenty happy, I wouldn't worry about that.

7. 85scottsdale

Its GVW is rated at 6k lbs...

And like I said, the 700r4 has 12k miles on it, corvette servo, .500" boost valve, shift kit, and a 24k lb B&M transmission cooler.

The truck is physically capable of pulling it, I just don't think its long enough to actually keep it under control well enough.

I really need some 4.10 gears, after the 4.10 gears I should be able to pull anything, especially if I get the motor I might be working a deal for!