Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

300 lb Short Guy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Indyblazer, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

The previous owner of my K5 was a 300 lb short guy. He used the drivers side door to pull himself into the truck. The door hung low and had damaged the striker on the door frame when I bought it.

I replaced the hinge pins, bushings and striker.

This improved the door alignment but..... it still hangs a little low and is causing wear on the new striker.

It still hangs about an inch too low. Should I loosen the hinge bolts and raise the door? Try to bend the hinges by jacking up the door while it is still bolted tight to the Blazer? Or What??

What should I do next to correct the door alignment? :confused:

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

i jacked mine up but i wasn't no inch low

3. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I hit my rocker panel real hard on a big rock and now the door strikes and closes in just the right place. You just have to push real hard with your shoulder and both hands to get it open. Good luck finding a big rock. You might check out the hinge story in CK5.

4. Tim L

Tim L Registered Member

What does the fender to door gap look like? If theres a big gap at the top , or very small one at the bottom ,the you need to adust your hinges.You can also try and use a 2x4 and pry up on the door off the rocker, be sure and use another 2x4 to bridge past the lip on the bottom of the door.

PS take off the strike while you adjust the door that way you can make sure the strike is'nt goofing up your alignment.

Tim

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Door side is what you adjust. Loosen the bolts up until you get it in place.

1" seems outside of even adjustment tolerances, but maybe it will move that much. Your striker can also be moved a bit as well, but use the frame of the door as your guide when adjusting it, center it up.

Prying on the doors IMO is a bad idea, (especially since the design is adjustable) the upper portion of the door has no rigidity to it, and the window frame is pretty easy to tweak, which can then mess up the door seal area.

Another thing is that if the hinges truly are bent, (I'd think this to be obvious by looking at them) getting another set from the wrecking yard and rebuilding those with your pieces is an option. I *believe* GM even still sells them, although a rebuild kit/used ones are probably a bit cheaper.