Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$3000 to replace my tranny!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

The front seal on my 1984 GMC's TH700R4 finally failed completely while cruising on the freeway. What a mess-the enormous clouds of smoke from the boiling tranny fluid alerted me to this terrible snafu. The real surprise was the repair bill- $3000 to remove/install a GM tranny (3 year warranty):mad: :mad: :mad: . Does this sound reasonable?

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Not a surprise considering I believe the GM trans is almost $2,000 by itself. TCI sells a trans for about $1,400 in Summit. Check a local shop...probably be quite a bit cheaper...but try to find an 89 and up 700r4...GM re-worked those in that year and are a bit more durable. Sucks that it blew, man.

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

a little off the original post sorry , but will the 1989 700r4 tranny work in
    my 1984 k5 ?

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yes it will Scrappy!

Big GMC, you mention repair bill. Would that be past tense? If you haven't had it done yet look around there are plenty of cheaper options.

It will be hard to beat a 3 year warranty but IMHO that's adding about a grand to the price.

Check eBay, TCI, Bowtie Overdrives, heck Google 700r4 for a million results:bow::D

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I agree It should be more around 2k.

6. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Get a friend and pull it yourself, should save lots of money if you do the labor... Just make sure it's adjusted correctly the instal is really simple, I just did mine a few months ago.

7. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Damn if you were closer i would sell you my rebuilt turbo400 for 1000 and it comes with a truck attached.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

The price for removal and installation of a GM unit isnt far off for what I would suspect for what is being done. However, if it is just the seal and the trans is still good why dont you pull it yourself replace the cheap seal and reinstall? Or if you have the money since you already have it out take it to a shop and let them rebuild the trans for you. I have had 700's rebuilt with a new torque convertor and other goodies (corvette servos, increased number of clutches, heavy duty bands, etc.) for $800. One of the biggest costs is the labor to remove and install the trans. Remove it yourself, really easy job, and save yourself lots of coin. I believe you can still buy a GM trans with the warranty for a heck of alot cheaper and do the install yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself make abosutely certain the TV cable is setup properly. If improperly setup that trans will have a quick death.

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Bowtie Overdrives has an excellent article on proper set-up.

10. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Off-topic, is the 700r4 much better than the th350? I mean if its gonna be in a trail rig and overdrive wont be important. I rebuilt a th350 myself in college just for the fun of it, and I believe all in all it cost me under $300. I made my own shift kit too.

Just planning ahead in case my 700r4 ever decides to take a dump

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't say you got hosed, but i think you did get overcharged, unless they really put a monster beefed-up tranny in there. i just had the 4l60e in my 94 c1500 rebuilt, basically into a corvette tranny. total cost for them to diagnose, pull, rebuild/upgrade all internals, new cooler, 50k, 3 year warranty, and reinstall was $2100. i thought that was a bit high, but not terrible.

you really can save a ton doing the work yourself. i'll install, but not rebuild. i've replaced a few gm trannies, myself, for just the cost of the tranny. most recent one was a 4l60 in my friend's '93. he found the used tranny for $600, and my payment was a date (followe by many more) with his hot sister :D. nice.

but, bottom line is...are you happy with the result?

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

pictures? :D

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Do some shopping around, brother. Find a local tranny shop with a good rep and get a quote from them. $3K is WAY too much.

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My tranny guy builds em for 800 bucks Canadian, and I install them / set them up myself. No way I'd spend 3 grand on a transmission!

15. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

No, I haven't forked over the $3,000 for the new tranny yet due to the fact that it is not in stock, but I told the dealer to order it and do the job. Since he found a lot of material in the pan, he thinks it's toast. If I took it somewhere else, I would have to have it towed, which would be a pain. Then, I run the risk of taking it to bad shop. I'm pretty much stuck with going through the dealer-at least it will be a job well done.

16. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i paid $1400 to have my 700r4 removed/rebuilt/installed last year. 3k is way too much. plus they were supposed to inspect and anylize the COD of the one that was in it for insurance reasons (stupid tow truck driver, long story...) but they didn't. But the one that was in it, i had just put in 2 weeks before, wasn't hard, would've been easier with the right tools though.

17. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Where in CA are ya? If I find a reputable shop to do the work can I have half the savings as a finder's fee? I'll even deduct the towing:D

2,100 tranny, $200 tow, $700 savings = $350 finder's fee?:D:D

18. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I got my tranny removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled for 750. 3K is a lot.

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

TH350 is an all-around better trans. The only good thing about a 700R4 is the overdrive. If you don't need that, then stick to a TH350 or TH400.

20. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Lower first gear...