Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

302:1 Crawl!?!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by zakk, Jan 29, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Was just running some numbers here at work and a SM465 mated to a a doubler with 3:1 gears in the 203 and 205 with 5.13 gearing would be 302:1 crawl.

would you even go anywhere a WOT? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif thats insane crazy.

jacob

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    would you even go anywhere a WOT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

The gas/diesel station? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That might be pushing the useful limit. The low hundreds seems to be a good place to be with the option of picking it up to 50:1 or so for wheelspin. With bigger tires and bigger rocks, the mid hundreds might be nice sometimes but I'm not sure over 200:1 is going to do you any good. But then being a die hard auto driver, who am I to say!

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

here is another insane number! to do 2 (that's right, TWO) miles per hour, you need to be turning out 5275 RPM's with a Th350/th400 or 3600 RPM's with OD.

to be moving about at a BLISTERING 5 MPH, you would need to turn out 13,000 RPM's with a TH350.

So i guess i need to buy a F1 motor, or a Gixxer motorcycle motor to spin that high /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I read a write up on jeep with a Klune plus the TC that had 400 to 1 crawl ratio. They were able to climb a waterfall that everyone else was winching up at idle and turning the front wheels to find that little bit of traction that any more speed would just spin on. Just a thought as I have no personel knowledge of this, just what one writer was saying. Would be interesting to try it out though. I know I've climbed hills in the big rig pete at idle and felt each of the drive tires getting and losing traction and made it. Where the same spot tried going faster with wheelspin etc. And the truck just hopped bad and lost it.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

So i guess i need to buy a F1 motor, or a Gixxer motorcycle motor to spin that high

[/ QUOTE ] get a mazda rotary engine. my friend had his up to 16,000rpm /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

How about just the mild (2.72) Klune V along with the ORD Doubler? That makes for 365:1 by my calculations /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    (assuming SM465 &amp; 5.13 axle)

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

my room mate use to work at Wild Horses (early bronco shop) well anyway some guy came in and wanted to have the lowest geared truck he could buy..(the guy had made a bet with someone and had more money that brains) and he had wild horses build him a 1500:1 set up...not exactly sure what they used to do it with but it cost about 10,000 by the time it was all said and done...so that rig was about as worthless as tits on a bore /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

get a mazda rotary engine. my friend had his up to 16,000rpm

[/ QUOTE ]

On those rpm's I bet that TH-350/400 will blow it guts out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know that on the trails my club typically runs a ratio of 300:1 would be completely useless. There a few Jeep guys with Atlas t-cases and they say that the 3.8:1 option with the stock trans and axles gears in the mid 4's is borderline too low.....but again we don't have much in the way of true rockcrawling.

12. Stephen

That's where gear options come in, I woundn't mind having a super deep (deeper than what I have) crawler gear to play with sometimes but I sure wouldn't want it all the time.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

k, figure out how to replace the 203 range box with the SM465. just shift into N on your auto and change gears in the transmission. than back into drive. and roll away....
    double transmissions has always made me get all warm inside...
    grant

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ultra deep can actually hurt you on a descent. Too hard to gas it out if things get hairy.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

15. Stephen

I whole heartedly agree there, I prefer to run in 2nd or with the t-cases in 2:1 for nasty downhills or ledge drops. That way just letting off the brake will let you roll some and if you need to you can really get on it. For longer more predictable grades, I'll run in all the low gears and creep it with my feet on the floor, knowing that if I have to I can always pop into 2nd to speed up.

16. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

A few years ago, Petersen's 4 Wheel &amp; Off Road magazine had an article on a Unimog that had an amazing 4,066:1 Crawl Ratio! I don't know what the owner did to it to get it that low, but that goes WAY far beyond too low IMO. Just thought I'd share this with you people.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can get out and walk next to my stock K5 with SM465, 208, 3.73 rears, and 33s. I can literally let it idle a long and go have a conversation wiht someone then go catch it at the other end of hte parking lot. 4,066:1 is just I don't know. You could go take a freaking nap eat a meal and come back and it wouldn't be down your driveway.

18. Stephen

I think that was Kai Serrano's 'mog, I actually stood next to it in the city market parking lot in Moab one year when he ran it around in 4066:1 and if he really revved it up you could see it move. Barely. I think that was with some different PTO stuff engaged, so it's probably not even meant to be useful. He said that he sometimes used a 400:1 gear but was mostly between 100 and 200:1. Even with 48" or bigger tires.

19. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

A freind of mine is talking about putting a SM420 between his tranny and TCase in his Bronco. The double reverse could be a nice anti-theft device, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, the selectability is, at least in mind, the biggest advantage the doubler setup has over 4:1 gearsets and the Atlas.