Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305/350 interchangability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Jun 27, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Will the same intake manifold that bolts onto a 305 also bolt onto a 350??

I'm asking because....will a TPI unit from a 305 (mid '80's Camaro) bolt directly onto a 350? Just wire it up and deal with fuel delivery, or is there something more complex that I'm missing? Is there a sticky or a thread that deals with this issue of putting a 305 TPI onto a 350?

Help me/teach me.... Thanks.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All external accesories bolt , even the cranks are the same , intakes , covers etc .

Only real difference is after 80 and up has the dipstick on passenger siade and has a different oil pan :D

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Is there a thread that covers this topic, or more speficially (and hopefully) this swap??

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are a few threads covering this, but they are all over the place.

I know another has posted a question regarding TPI, perhaps that person can join this discussion.

Early TPI will have center intake bolts that can be used with the "earlier" heads that use intake bolts all at the same angle. I've forgotten the year break for the intake bolt pattern, I believe it's '87+. Thus, you need to use newer heads, or modify the stock base to fit older heads. Personally, I'd just find whichever base fits the heads you want to use. Shouldn't be too tough or expensive.

305 injection specific stuff (short of heads) is identical to 350, with the exception of the injectors, knock sensor and ESC module. (for MAF setups) PROM will be different based on displacement, CA or federal emissions, high altitude or not, and manual or automatic. I believe gear ratio is also a difference, but that is likely pretty inconsequential compared to the other differences.

85-89 is MAF, 90-92 is MAP. RyanB wrote up an article regarding his MAF/MAP install, which is on the tech writeup forum.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

305 and 350 cranks are not the same, they both have the same casting number but there is a 50 gram difference in weight between the two cranks. If you are going to balance an engine then it won't really matter unless you cannot get the correct bob wieght with the crank you've choosen to use.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

however they are the same stroke and everything

87 up on the center 4 intake bolt angle yes
    and 86 up is the RMS change

and 80 and up has oil stick on pass side and is first year for the straight style "smogger" exh manifolds and EST/ESC system and such

good luck

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Of course I wouldn't pull a crank from one engine for another without going to the machine shop first . I am backyard , but not stoopid ;)