Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 and 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Apr 3, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

What's the difference between the crank and rest of the bottom end on a 305 and 350. According to the specs they look the same. (Same journals, same stroke, etc...) I'm use to 350's but am doing a little playing around with a 305 to see what kind of torque I can get. I got a free rebuild kit for 30 over, but am trying to get some real numbers on the bottom end. Oh, and why the price difference in the rebuild kits. I didn't have to pay for mine, but noticed someone mentioned the difference in price. The 350 kits I have bought in the past have been $150, but when I looked up 305's this week, the cheapest one I could find was $230. If there's not much difference why the pricees. An inline 6 kit was even higher! And that has fewer parts.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To my understanding, the only differences in 305, and 350 is the bore, and heads.

3. georgiared84

So with the right heads and intake and a larger bore do you basically have the same thing? Just wondering what I can expect from this one bored 30 over with torquer heads and different intake. I have a stock 350 that I just put in my other one and was wondering how they would compare.

4. georgiared84

anyone else?

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

If You change to "torquer" head's, beware, the valve's might hit the the bore, because of the smaller bore size. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. georgiared84

They make a 58 cc size just for 305's. That's the one I'm getting. The specs I downloaded show a lot more flow than stock which is what I am going for. The bore is going to be 30 over.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You should not have a problem then, what i was thinking was You were gonna put on a set of 350 head's with Giant valve's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. georgiared84

Nah, That'd kill my compression.

9. georgiared84

Anyone know about the difference in the cranks?

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 305 and 350 cranks both have the same 3.48" stroke. I forget which way it is but one of the cranks is 50 grams lighter than the other. The cranks both have the same exact casting number on them but one has a machined edge down the counter weights and the other does not.

11. georgiared84

Thanks. That's what I was wondering. So as far as durability the bottom ends are pretty much alike?