Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 engine... performance?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcknpimp, Nov 1, 2002.

1. rcknpimp

rcknpimp Registered Member

i have the 305 in my 86' blazer. lookin for more performance than exhaust and intake. is it worth tearing down the whole motor to redo or is it just headaches? or does it have enough oph to haul around the 4400lb beast with 35" tires? lookin for suggestions on what i should do. thanks.

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

you can get some more stuff for yer 305 but its not worth it imho. it would be best just to get you a 350 and do some work to that engine. you will like it that much more. later.

jacob

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Sure, you could rebuild your 305 and get a little more power from it ..... but why bother? Parts are gonna cost a little more and when everything is all said and done you won't be much better off than you are now.

Why not avoid all the headaches and just get a Good engine right off the bat?

BTW: Welcome to CK5!

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Intake, headers, and maybe a mild cam are about all that a 305 is worth. Mine was rebuilt by the previous owner (dumba$$), but after a new intake and ripping all the emissions equipment off of it, it makes decent power.

John

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hell for that price i would just go out and buy me another truck!!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look for recent posts by trouble1. He just swapped the cam in his 305 and is VERY happy with his new found performance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't downplay the performance you'll gain from just an intake/exhaust upgrade. My 305 is basically stock- all I've done is rip out the emmisions crap and install a distributor recurve kit. I also run a 2 1/4" dual exhaust with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers out of the factory exhaust manifolds.

I can honestly say that the exhaust upgrade made a huge difference in both performance and mileage. If you don't have a lot of cash to spend, you might consider redoing the exhaust. The big bonus is if you ever upgrade to a 350, the same system will bolt onto your new engine.

8. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Just a thought but check out a stroker kit for it. http://www.enginekits.com/ chek that out.....worthy me thinks of a try, imma do it in the spring. Do the math on it an it will prove to put out more than an prevortec 350 easy.

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Do a search on it.

You can squeak 250 horses out of a 305 without much effort. And you won't be paying $3700 for a 383 as suggested by someone else. Some people like me don't have $3700 to blow on a motor. That's a semester's tuition for me. And for $3700 you can build a killer bigblock so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a off-the-shelf motor isn't the best bang for your buck.

10. rcknpimp

rcknpimp Registered Member

what emmisions crap can i take off? other than the cat. thanks again