Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 flexplate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

So I went to change my tranny front seal, and I find out that my torque converter has crack on the shaft. Now I find out that my flexplate has a crack too, and that is what caused the torque converter to crack. So I was wondering. Can i swap a flex plate from a 350 to my 305?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

only problems are 400 sbc and 454 bbc is external balenced. all others internal balenced. then make sure its same ring gear dia as there is big and small. but small is old school you shouldnt have that. then last crank bolt pattern is diffrent from 1 peice and 2 peice rear main seal.

so yes a 305 to 350 will work if same ring gear size and same crank pattern.

and most auto stores have new hd versions for under 30 bucks. i just had to remove my tranny for a sec time as the clutch didnt work with hydro parts swaped in. and if you install used part in there and have problem again you will be kicking your self in the butt.

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

yea, Better get a new one. Thanks for the reply

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Be sure to check that the amount that the center of the flexplate is dished out is the same. I went thru a dozen starters and finally pinpointed that my 350 had a 305 flexplate and the 305 was pushed out slightly further than the 350 and thos allowed the starter to begin to spin prior to engaging.

The diameter and thickness were the same but when we ran the part #'s it came back that the old one was a 305 and new was a 350. There was maybe 1/4 inch difference max.