Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 Heads Ported and Unshrouded pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Jan 4, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Pics in My Gallery

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what casting are they ?

next thing to check on is intake port flow volume, 305 and 267 hjeads tend to have low intake port flow numbers

3. bigburban383

These are ported. They are rusty because I did them a few months ago. I took a lot of meat out on the one side of each port.

[​IMG]

4. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    what casting are they ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you think I was lying about the 305 heads? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14022601 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looking good. You've got a ways to go though. Even a fully ported 305 head doesn't flow what a decent stock 350 head does.

Since you've ground so much on the combustion chambers you'd better match them. Otherwise it might not run very well. I'd finish polishing them also. Why'd you spend so much time unshrouding them? I take it that you're going to stick them on a 350?

When I ported my 305 heads I spent the most time on the bowls and gasket matching the exhaust ports. I spent a lot of time on the intake bowls and a small amount on the intake runners just to square them up a bit and clean them up.

I never took any pictures of my finished job but I pretty much blended the seats in and smoothed out the guides. I also finished off the exhaust side with a very smooth finish. I removed a fair amount of material from the short side radius. I pretty much just polished the combustion chamber. I CCed the chambers and they were all within .75mL of each other so I called it good.

I didn't go as crazy as the ws6transam.org guy but close:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/305headporting/

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What did your final combustion chamber CC end up being?

(just my opinion, but if unshrouding the valves and polishing the chamber gets the volume up anywhere near 60CC or so, I can't see the point of working with 305 heads for a 350 when you could mill a set of 64CC 350 heads and start out in good shape. Maybe I'm missing something?)

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ran them up to 58.5cc. One cylinder was a little more than that but close enough for who its for. One was just shy of 58cc. The rest were between 58cc and 58.5cc.

Mill a set of heads and then you have to deal with intake issues... blah blah blah. Might as well zero the deck, mill the heads, and get new pushrods by the time you start doing that kind of machinework in my opinion.

My 350 has a pair of 75cc heads on it (3998991). I don't know what I'm going to do about them. They're pretty crappy castings and the chamber design looks like it came off a Tecumseh. I think I'll see if I can find a new reasonably priced Scat 3.75" crank and make it a 383. Even with flat tops I'd have 8.5:1 with 3.48" crank. With a 3.75" crank it'd bump it up to 9.1:1.

8. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not trying to hijack but I have some 882 heads to go on my 350 Im gonna polish up any suggestions on these as far as porting and polishing, maybe stuff to watch out for or to do?? Thanks

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Mill a set of heads and then you have to deal with intake issues... blah blah blah. Might as well zero the deck, mill the heads, and get new pushrods by the time you start doing that kind of machinework in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

But as you said, the better 350 castings are out there anyway. That's part of what I was getting at, although only .5CC+ isn't that much.

10. bigburban383

Yes, I recently made the decision to put these heads on my 388. So I figured I should do some more headwork. I spent a lot of time unshrouding because I wanted to unshroud the crappy heads and also raise the compression. I am also going to get a steel head gasket that is thicker so that should increase 4 CCs there. You ask why put this on a 388? Well first I am using the stock TBI unit, and I am going for a low rpm torque monster.

A carburator or better heads or anything other then the stroker crank was not in my budget. I want to upgrade to vortec in the future though, like this summer. I will ether make it carburated or get a 454 TBI unit.

CYBERSNIPER: How do you CC your heads?