Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 or 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jul 28, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright well the guy that owned my truck before me told me lots of things that ended up not being true about my truck. He claims its a 305 engine in it. My friend has a 350 crate w/ 30k on it hes selling to me for really cheap. I want to make sure my engine isnt a 350 before i swap it. What ways can i definitly tell that its a 305? I dont have anything in my dash or on my doors.. those were worn off. Would the trucks vin on the dash work to decode this? If so can anyone do that for me.. its 1 G N E V 1 8 h 2 h f 1 1 0 9 1 does this mean anything to anyone w/ finding out what engine size? i hope its a 305.. cuz its sloow... its an 87 Non silverado w/ 700r, 208 bla bla

2. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

theres a vin decoder here..click

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you look on the back of your block, i dont remeber what side its on but, im sure some one else will post and tell ya. but, anyways you get those #'s and go to this site http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm and match the #'s up and you'll find your answer

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

engine ID

you can look on the passenger side front portion of the block where the front of the head ends and you will find a machined flat area (just under the alternator) with numbers stamped in it. You will also find numbers on the drivers side rear of the block where the bellhousing would bolt (those are the easiest to track). Don't use the vin as someone could have changed engines.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Weeeell........ if i an not having a severe case of brain farts..... :woot: I think the 8th number on your vin is a H so according to the vin that means you have a 305.
    If you had a 350 it would be an 8. Thats according to the vin. The only way to tell for sure is to check the engine codes as said above.

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hm well my vins say 305... and i was lookin all under the alt and i couldnt find a number code.. i dont even know how the heck to get in the back of the engine behind the heads to look for the number. I was checkin right under the alternator and basically under the heads in that area, even cleaned off my engine... hmm

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say the flat area being talked about is more "behind" the alternator than under it. It is right where the head meets the block, if you were to stand over your engine and look straight down on it, you would see the flat pad that the numbers are stamped in. They are about the size of the characters your reading now. :)

8. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well if the engine you have now has as much power as a moped its probably a 305 J/K Try and climb in your engine bay and hold a small hand-held mirror behind your block see if you can see some numbers if may be real greasy back there so you might have to do some cleaning. Good Luck

9. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Moped power?

I still have the 305 in my truck and it is more like a Honda Spree scooter....It runs ok with the exception of the oil leak. I am looking to do swap out to a 350 as well but that will be next month sometime.

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My 305 makes respectable power. But it's .030 over, no smog, Edelbrock Performer, Accel Super HEI, and true dual's w/ no cat's help a little.

John

11. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a 305 with the Edelbrock intake and flowmasters in my K5 and it does pretty well with the 3.73 and 35 inch tires BUT... I have no hard top, no tailgate, no bumpers and the carpet has been taken out also, that helped a lot :laugh: