Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 or 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 3, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I bought my Jimmy in October 2005, and the guy I bought it from told me it has a 305 that had been dropped into it. After looking at all the pictures on here, my engine bay looks identical to a lot of you people with 350's. Is there any way that I can tell for sure what motor I have? I've been trying to figure this out for sure since I got the truck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. breakcountry

breakcountry Newbie

There is no way just by looking under the hood at it, but if you crawl up in there and look at the engine block on the drivers side behind the head you can get the block casting number and you can look it up on mortec.com and tell what ya got.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Without tearing it out , you need to look at the numbers on the block . Casting number is on the rear above the bellhousing flange top . The number with a partial vin , and what it came out of is on the front pad below the heads .

Someguys will say to look at the size of the balancer , but sometimes they get swapped out too .

So if you don't want to remove anything , get the numbers , post here , and we will see what it is .

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

find the block casting number on the bellhousing area, and/or the engine ID on the pad under the right hand cylinder head on the front of the engine. Then post up again, you'll get your ID when we can get that info.

good luck

5. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Hmm, now I feel really stupid. I'm not very good with engines. Never rebuilt one or anything. So the "bellhousing area" is on the drivers side and I can see the numbers from underneath the truck?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No , you'll look down with a flashlight behind the motor where it bolts to the transmission . You may need to reach down with a brush and clean it off . They will be facing up .