Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wickedfordf9cker6, Aug 14, 2005.

1. wickedfordf9cker6

wickedfordf9cker6 Newbie

hi this is my first official engine rebuild for myself and i was hoping to get this right the first time. as a trial and error thing i'm planning on taking the 305 out of my 96 sierra and rebuilding it with a 350 crank and hopefully LT1 heads. unfortunately im not sure if i can or if i could what i would come out with in the end. i was hoping i could get some help from you guys as to wheither i can or cant and if you have anything else you can add in to make the experience even better. oh and also if i was hoping to find out what the engine size would be to if anyone could help with that. thanks for the time.

Kevin 16, FL

2. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi, I am not sure which LT1 heads you plan on using but if they are the late model heads they wont work on the earlier block without alot of work. most of the cooling holes are in the wrong place. Also any of the lt1new or old heads were built for a 4" bore which wouldnt be ideal for the small 305 bore. I think your best bet would be to locate a set of 305 vortec heads s/r torquers or even a set of regular 305 head and have them reworked. As for the crank the 305 and 350 cranks are the same thing, same stroke.

3. gmcjimmy90

gmcjimmy90 Registered Member

same crank but different stroke (shoreter rods) and as far as what to expect you can expect dissapointment build a350

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

i agree. rebuild the 305 stock, dont fool around with it as it would be a waste of time and money.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

heck i wouldn't even waste time anymore with rebuilding a 305, so many 350 engines out there that are fairly cheap to mess with, would better all around to just ditch the 305 altogether.