Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 tbi on a 78' carbed 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by headcrash0101, Nov 17, 2003.

1. headcrash0101

headcrash0101 Registered Member

305 tbi on a 78\' carbed 350

Is this possible? I know the heads are not compatible. What about the dist., intake, and everything else.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: 305 tbi on a 78\' carbed 350

The intake manifold can be modified to fit the old heads. The distributor can be wired to the old HEI distribuotr I am pretty sure. (can be on my TPI). Those are the two main things. Everything else is pretty similar.

It would probably be easier to get a newer style distributor and run it in your older engine, but the old one should work too.

If your motor is a little worn and your heads could use freshening then you can always just install the newer style heads so you don't have to modify the manifold.

The computer would probably have to be changed to a unit from a 350 though, and you might have to swap the injectors over to a set from a 350 also. Beyond that I can't tell you much except to get everything from the donor motor that you can.

Harley

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Distributor will work, and so should the intake. Not positive on the intake, but I didn't think port size ever changed.

I'd second the injectors, but the knock sensor and ESC module also need to be changed to 350 ones. No biggie, not too pricey.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only thing I think might be different about the intakes is the angle of the 2 center bolt holes on each side of the manifold. They will probably need opened up to match the angle of the older style head. This is of course assuming that he is talking about a TBI system from a vehicle made 87 or later. If the TBI is earlier then 87 (at least I think there was car systems earlier then 87) then the manifold will work fine.

I know that if you can find a manifold off an 86 TPI motor you don't have to drill it out for the newer stytle head when you are doing a TPI swap.