Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 to 327 conversion ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Aug 21, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

My friend and I were wondering the other day if a chevy 305 can be bored out to 327 cubes. If it can be, do you have to stroke it as well or is it all boring operations? If this is possible, would you be able to fit the bigger 350 heads on it because we know that the bigger 350 heads will not fit on a 305. Any imput is appreciated. Thx. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The 305 uses a 3.735 bore, and a 3.48 stroke, while the 327 was a 4" bore and 3.25 stroke. The 350 is 4" bore, 3.48 stroke. So you would have to bore the 305 .265. Max bore on anything is about .060

Dan

Dan

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, thats good to know. We were just wondering because he was comtemplating buying the tired old 305 that came out of my Blazer to put in his firebird. Is here any use in modifying a 305 or is it just more practical to go 350. (don't forget that I'll sell it to him real cheap).

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Hotrod has done some articles on the 305 to get them to like 300 hp for pretty cheap. Search the internet, and go to Hodrods website and look there.

Dan

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would just get a 350 you can get them cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If your already willing to do a complete rebuild and all that machine work, why not get a 350 block and stroke that out to a 383? I think that would make a firebird into a burnout machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt my 305, I ported the heads and cammed it. Desktop Dyno says 307 hp and 337 ftlbs under 5000 RPMs.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Is here any use in modifying a 305 or is it just more practical to go 350.

[/ QUOTE ]

You spend the same amount of time and money on both engines (with comparable parts) and the 350 will make more power, hands down, every time. 350 has the 305 beat in every category *except* POSSIBLE fuel economy, simply due to the smaller displacement.

Yes you can build strong 305's, but the question remains, why?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never seen a 305 do better on gas mileage, seen worse though. How plentiful 350s are its just a waste of time to go for a 305. Only reason to do it is if you have money to waste and feel like doing something different.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

In some areas, finding a rebuildable 350 core is getting harder to do. I am not a big fan of 305's by any means. One thing you might look into is a 3.75" stroker kit. It will bring displacement up to around 334 Cu In, I believe. I have not done the math. Put a set of Vortec heads on it and have a mill with some torque. Should fry the tires farily well.

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, I'll give my friend the report. Everyone seems to be against the small displacements! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    In some areas, finding a rebuildable 350 core is getting harder to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are not looking for Hemi's or 409's here! 350's have been in use from 1967 to 2002. I don't know what the #'s come out too, but there has to be a couple of million out there. Granted the earlier the blocks are better for the high nickle content and are harder to find, but look at all of the late model stuff thats out there from 1996 to 1999 in the pickups alone. Round numbers puts GMC and Chevy at 100,000 units of truck production per year per division, the majority of which are 350 equipped. Not included are all the SUV's and Vans that had the same 350.

They are out there, sure maybe in saskachawan they are scarce, but come to any good size town in the country and you'll find one.

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'de just skip the 305. Most of the casting after 1980 are weak anyways. If you were going to a 305, get a 77-79 block. To bad you arn't closer. i have a 350 4 bolt I could sell you for 100.00! was rebuilt, but just has been laying around.

14. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I should have said "At a decent price". A lot of the circle track engine builders around here are snapping up every core they can get their hands on. They are still out there, you just have to look harder. Some people don't want to do that. And some people just want to be different. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok, well thanks guys. He figures he'll just go with something bigger then. I'll try to sell it to some other unsuspecting person... lol JK Wait I have a 305 in my blazer! DOH!

16. Budweiserluv

Budweiserluv Newbie

i would just like to mention to you that while it is cheaper and more practical to build a 350 your wrong about it beating the 305 in every category, a man from Minnesota stuffed $130k into a 305 and made the new world record for all small block v8's for hp and torque rating in @ 6700+ hp and 4200 tq if you have the cash the 305 is a more stable engine @ high revs than the 350 but if your on a budget the 350 is cheaper power.

17. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

Registered and raised a post from the dead from 10 years ago to defend 305s. What a giant boat of fail you must captain :haha:

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sooooper dredge...

19. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

arrrrr

she be drug up from the depths again .

and welcome to ck5 we just pickin a bit . but realy 2003 post :haha:

pirate-ships-04.jpg

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sadly,350's have continued to become less common here since that post was made,its even rare to see a carbed V8 chevy engine of any size in junkyards around here any more,and a 305 is probably all what you will find if you go looking for one...even at swap meets and on craigslist the only "cheap" V8's around are 305's,the 350's are still around but are usually in peices and you have to put one together from peices like a puzzle..

I miss the days that you could find a 350 4 bolt main for 150-200 bucks in good shape to drop in a truck..and good luck if you are looking for a straight six too--I have been keeping an eye out for one the past year or so,only seen one or two on craigslist guys yanked out of an old Nova and a 64 Impala that supposedly ran good,but they wanted a V8 hot rod--priced at 400+ bucks!..hell,you could get one for nothing most of the time back in the day,guys couldn't wait to rip them out and scrap them..even I did at one time!!..and now regret doing so..

Maybe its just here they are getting scarce,the rust and cash for clunkers wiped out a lot of donor vehicles and most junkyards scrapped everything heavy from the 70's and 80's when prices went up over 250 a ton about a year ago here...slim pickings..:doah: