Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 to 350 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jun 27, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, i see myself posting everyday or so, so ill post this to get any advice on what i need to swap out or change. i know already i have the flex plate problem, but i ask all of you who have done the swap, what i will need to swap or get new for the 350.

thanks

tom

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Everything external is the same as far as bolting all your accessories on , for that matter except for piston size the bottom end is the same ( some are one piece rear main though ) Replace some items like water pump, fuel pump, and motor mounts anyway as they are cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll hit on one topic that may or may not help you...

Depending on what power steering/water pump setup you have, it may be better to stick with the "305" water pump when you go to buy one.

Depending on year, the power steering brackets are different, and the water pump is as well.

I would think/hope that your '86 has a threaded hole in the water pump for the power steering bracket bolt. Some setups use an unthreaded hole with a power steering pump bracket that has a nut welded to it. These are a pain in my opinion, and not worth using, especially if you have the choice.

In my case, the older pump/brackets couldn't be interchanged (the pump housing was different) so I had to go find the right brackets for the later style water pump.

4. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the all important tool (if it's stock exhaust manifolds), an exhaust manifold spreader /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif. I spent hours trying to figure out what was up. Good Luck!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Or, if you have the money, throw the stupid manifolds away and buy headers. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm kind of kidding here...as long as you don't take manifolds off, they are pretty reliable. But the first "shrunken" exhaust manifold you run across will annoy you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. basscat39

basscat39 Registered Member

Might want to think about a bigger radiator also just to be on the safe side.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i actually have a brand new one form a 350 in the garage!!

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have run into the "shrunken exhaust manifold syndrome"too--the first time it happenned was in the winter doing a motor swap,the bolts wouldnt go in,I knew about the spreader tool,tried making one out of a nut and bolt and a small peice of pipe,it didnt work very well.I got pissed and put the manifold in the wood stove I had going for heat,and after "cooking" it for about 5 minites on the hot coals,I fished it out with the tongs and put on my best welders gloves and tried again--the bolts went in easily!.In the summer,the bar-B-que or gas grill would probably work--might get some strange looks from the neighbors when they see you grilling SBC manifolds though!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif