Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 to 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Aug 18, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

ok, I have a 305 and I've had the heads off replaced all the gaskets and its running really crappy...a friend of mine told me my cam is flat. Not sure what that means exactly, but from reading up on changing a cam, the engine has to come out to replace it. SO....heres the dilema. If it comes to it, do I just get a crate 305 and bolt all my old crap up to the shiney new block/heads, or do I go for the 350? if I go 350, are there any parts i can swap over? I have a 305 w/TBI, unsure what tranny (auto). unfortunatly $$ is not free flowing so its an issue. I want the most bang for my buck, but don't want to end up replacing the entire drive line. Is stroking the 305 an option ...cost effective? Oh i don't know...all i know is theres a billion 350's out there..but this is my DD and gas prices these days want me to errr on the side of 'economy' as good as a FS Blazer can get. Any thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you remove it and replace it , everything will bolt onto another smallblock . Use later heads and they will have all accessory holes and accept your valve covers as well your flexplate/flywheel ( early 2 piece rear main have different ) . Motor mounts , bellhousing , all the same .

And for what it is worth , you could be different ( which is kinda cool regardless what the automotive masses think ) , and right in between a 327 and 350 by doing the 3.75 stroke scat crank . So with a 305 you'd make a 334 . Which would be enough power anyway through gearing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

The problem w/stroking a 305 is that you still have the small port 305 heads that don't flow. I'd recommend going 350, it'll increase your torque so less pedal to get moving. All of the accessories will bolt on including your intake, tranny, etc. Just make sure you get a motor no older then your truck. Research before you buy so there's no disappointments. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, I have a 305 and I've had the heads off replaced all the gaskets and its running really crappy...a friend of mine told me my cam is flat. Not sure what that means exactly, but from reading up on changing a cam, the engine has to come out to replace it. SO....heres the dilema. If it comes to it, do I just get a crate 305 and bolt all my old crap up to the shiney new block/heads, or do I go for the 350? if I go 350, are there any parts i can swap over? I have a 305 w/TBI, unsure what tranny (auto). unfortunatly $$ is not free flowing so its an issue. I want the most bang for my buck, but don't want to end up replacing the entire drive line. Is stroking the 305 an option ...cost effective? Oh i don't know...all i know is theres a billion 350's out there..but this is my DD and gas prices these days want me to errr on the side of 'economy' as good as a FS Blazer can get. Any thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Why would have too pull the engine to change the cam ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My thoughts exactly--I've done at least a dozen cam swaps without pulling the motor--although on a lifted vehicle it might be easier on your back if the motor wasnt in the truck.The worst part of the cam swap is removing the grille and hood latch support(not always nessasary on every truck)and the harmonic balancer--last one I took off some bonehead put red locktite on it,and had to ruin the balancer to get it off with heat from the torch...some people shouldnt be allowed under a hood--. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I've never done it, so kinda assumed I needed to pull the engine...but if i'm gonna tear into her, may as well just do the whole thing...she has 160K miles on her so i'm thinkin upgrade! Thanks for the info, will start pricing 350's i think.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

9. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

10. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif don't think I have't thought about it! hehe, but unfortunately the extra 700-800 isn't feasible...unless i suck it up and drive this 305 til it quits, but think it'll keep nickle and diming til it comes to that. Get a nice big blue cloud every cold start....gee i wonder why my girl never wants to ride in it?