Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 to diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 28, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever swaped out a 305 and put a diesle engine in there truck? How hard is it to do? WHat all do you have to buy and instal or change? What diesel engien will go in the truck best? I saw a k5 blazer in the autotrader theat this guy had put a gm goodwrench engine in his truck and he also had a banks turbo installed.
    So has anyone on here doen this before?

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Dude, you need to get onto some of the army surplus auctions up in alaska through http://www.govliquidation.com/
    they have some auctions in alaska that probably don't get bid on as much do to the shipping cost. IMHO

3. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I have looked at some of the auction sites. But my problem is the shipping costs also. I live really close to Washington state its 2 hours by plane or two days by ferry. And I am about 4 hours by plane away from Anchorage. Plus Im moving to Cali in October. Hmmm maybe Ill check the auctions there.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My '81 C-20 started out in life with a 305, TH350 tranny, and 3.42 gears. It is now running a 6.2L diesel, 700R4 tranny, and 4.10 gears. The 6.2L outperforms the 305 in so many ways, it's not even funny.

I'm really tired right now, so I'll try and find some time tomorrow to give you some advice based on my experience.

Casey