Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

305 vs 350, manual vs auto

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inscape, Sep 4, 2006.

1. inscape

inscape Registered Member

Would a 305 in a 81 Jimmy be a lot less powerful than a 350? Also, are the manuals more reliable than the autos? I'm going to go look at an 81 Jimmy tomorrow that has a 305 and stick. I like my stick in my Civic, it's fun, but i've only test drove a K5 with a bad clutch and it wasn't fun at all. I'll see how this one is tomorrow.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

305 is wimpy compared to a 350 , stock for stock . However bodywork costs more than a motor . If the truck is clean , well cared for , and works buy it anyway .

You can always swap the motor out later ( what I said over 4 years ago , damn thing is in truck still LOL ) .

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Shifting gears in a civic is differnet than shifting gears in my Blazer...My Blazer is like shifting a truck, you don't just go from gear to gear lickety split...with that said, having a manual rocks and I wouldn't go back, even if I could

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The SM465 is probably one of the strongest and most reliable transmissions ever put in a light duty truck. I would expect it to last at least twice as long as an auto in the same truck.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

A 305 in good condition is fine for wheeling, especially if you have a manual transmission. Unless you are going to use it for towing I would say go for it.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i had a 305 i my truck for a few years, it got the job done but i had to lose it for a 350, i had an auto too and put a 465 in, i think swapping engines was easier then trannys so i say go for it

7. inscape

inscape Registered Member

Well the Jimmy I looked at was pretty crappy. Wasn;t in great shape and then when I looked by the steering box to check for cracks the frame was bent. So now tomorrow i'll be looking at a 1st gen with a crate 350/auto for $1,500